My Internet has

Started by Dieselboy, May 19, 2016, 09:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

... gone down at home. So i have plugged my laptop into the fibre converter - I'm not getting an ipv4 address but wireshark is seeing icmpv6 RA packets come in from their juniper device
So that's taken out the work phone, the residential line (because thats sip from the provider) my UK hotline, my TV and of course the internet.  :)

It's not really that bad I have free digital TV through an antenna

icecream-guy

Quote from: Dieselboy on May 19, 2016, 09:07:24 AM
... gone down at home. So i have plugged my laptop into the fibre converter - I'm not getting an ipv4 address but wireshark is seeing icmpv6 RA packets come in from their juniper device
So that's taken out the work phone, the residential line (because thats sip from the provider) my UK hotline, my TV and of course the internet.  :)

It's not really that bad I have free digital TV through an antenna

So how are you able to post?  some sort of weird conversion between the fibre converter and the digital TV antenna?
Maybe the antenna is picking up the neighbors wireless and you jumped on that ?

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

YOU HAVE IPv6 NOW, CITIZEN. BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR BETTER INTERNET.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

I used my mobile phone to post :)

Apparently it's an Australia-wide NBN issue.

So to roll out fibre to the home, the government stepped in and set up a company called NBN. ISPs then provide internet to end users through this NBN network. Seems like a really rubbish way of doing things.

deanwebb

I heard about NBN. On a political humour YouTube channel, Clarke and Dawe. I lol'd.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

wintermute000

Quote from: Dieselboy on May 19, 2016, 09:21:21 PM
I used my mobile phone to post :)

Apparently it's an Australia-wide NBN issue.

So to roll out fibre to the home, the government stepped in and set up a company called NBN. ISPs then provide internet to end users through this NBN network. Seems like a really rubbish way of doing things.

Sorry, going to disagree with you there 110%. NBN is a fantastic idea. The implementation is rubbish, but the idea is 110% sound - competing backbone/access infrastructure is pointless e.g. parallel cable TV networks. Build one fast underlying transmission network, let anyone sell over the top of it in a fair and even market, no monopolies, every retail ISP competing on the same terms, no more 'only provider X has fibre in your area' issues. I used to work in a senior role in a small tier-3 ISP and the original vision of the NBN was going to let every small provider out there compete with the same reach as Telstra or TPG. Unfortunately, that didn't happen... and TPG bought every other tier-2 out and became a behemoth... meanwhile NBN is stuck in the mud AND effectively useless to tier-3s due to expanding from 14 POIs to 144 POIs... retail CVC pricing... i could go on, but then I'd turn into whingepool :)

Of course the way its all turned out (thank the liberals i.e our goddamned tories - for you yanks, our liberals = your republicans, its hilarious when we read your political news and the terms are arse-backwards to us) is a cluster---- but thats a long discussion somewhere else.

deanwebb

Well, you lot down Straya way are all upside-down...

And, yes, it's the implementation that generates the jibes and japes.

Dieselboy

NBN will probably be sold to Telstra at some point soon, at the cost of the taxpayers. Just like how the British government sold off the copper POTS lines from the Post Office to British Telecom, allowing BT to have the monopoly on home phone lines for many many years.