Highest uptime

Started by sgtcasey, January 23, 2015, 12:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtcasey

I was at work today preparing a change to power down and remove an old 3845 that had been running since before I got there.  I happened to notice the uptime.

Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

Seittit

Wow, throwback to Bush years

deanwebb

Keep it plugged in and go for the record!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

LynK

When I joined here we had a 2811 which had been running for 6-7 years. Rebooted it, and came back up like a boss. :drama:

Here is the uptime on a old useless switch:
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

that1guy15

Here is my best. 11+ years. We left this guy powered on after migrating to a new rack so the guy who originally installed it could shut it down the maintenance guy had powered it down...

https://twitter.com/that1guy_15/status/436982015838003200/photo/1
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

that1guy15

That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Fred

Honestly, when I see these tremendous uptimes, I just think of all the security vulnerabilities that have come out.  So these have unpatched SSH and a myriad of DoS vulnerabilities...

deanwebb

Quote from: Fred on January 24, 2015, 07:52:57 PM
Honestly, when I see these tremendous uptimes, I just think of all the security vulnerabilities that have come out.  So these have unpatched SSH and a myriad of DoS vulnerabilities...
True, but if the network is segmented, then these guys can stay up where they won't get hurt. They won't get *used*, either, but we're going for uptime, right, not packet loss or CPU usage records.
:challenge-accepted:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Also realize that many systems with redundancy will report total uptime, and module uptime. We have a pair of ASAs with a cluster up time of 5 years, but each ASA has up times of only 26 days. So even patching you can get good uptime numbers.

-Otanx

deanwebb

So, clearly, we need a singles and a doubles version of this sport.

killabee

Quote from: Fred on January 24, 2015, 07:52:57 PM

Way to spoil the fun, man!

sgtcasey

Said 3845 with the 7 years of uptime is now sleeping peacefully on the floor of a network closet.  The next step is to power it up, wipe the config, update the asset management application, and then decide if we keep or recycle.
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

icecream-guy

Quote from: sgtcasey on January 28, 2015, 06:31:37 PM
Said 3845 with the 7 years of uptime is now sleeping peacefully on the floor of a network closet.  The next step is to power it up, wipe the config, update the asset management application, and then decide if we keep or recycle.

if you got a 16 line async card and a spider cable, it would make a nifty OOB console server.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

burnyd

I have a hybrid CatOS 6500 thing with 10 years and a few months on it.