Another Sri Lanka trip finished

Started by Dieselboy, June 09, 2016, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

This week I've been in Sri Lanka again. I brought a Riverbed over from Aus for the proof of concept trial I've been trying to get from about 18 months ago. It's taken so long that I've got the latest model out.

Bringing it over was fun. My suit case was 31.5kg. The poor uber driver tried to take the case off me when I came outside on the way to the airport and wouldn't take my word for it that it was heavy. Couldn't lift it!  >:D

All in all a successful trip - users seem happy. And I reckon I've put on a few kilos of weight because of all the nice food here.

Back to Aus in a few hours.

deanwebb

Lol, packing network gear... best way to ensure delivery, though!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Exactly!  :) My case is only 12kg now haha
I think they dropped my case in a puddle though from the plane to to carousel. Case was soaked through but because of the way i packed it the riverbed was fine but  all my tshirts were soaked. I think the hotel washed the clothes better than I did anyway!

Putting that riverbed in is like a different story! Productivity should go up for them now ;)
Final test I started some voice calls and then started Internet speed tests to max out the bandwidth. Calls stayed crystal clear. I only really had outbound qos before on the Internet router at each site so if someone downloaded a large file the traffic from the Internet to the site would have been competing with voice / vice versa. Riverbed qos is quite a bit more flexible out of the box. I didn't really want to start looping switch ports to make queues and another idea was to rate limit class default to slightly lower than the internet bandwidth inbound so there's a reservation for voice. Messy messy.

Hope the business approves the units. Dont really fancy coming to pick it back up in a few weeks. I'm shattered 😂

deanwebb

Just make sure your RADIUS traffic gets a bypass. :)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Dieselboy

Doesn't look like it is by default :)
Although don't think I have any RADIUS from that site, except the Steelhead itself to validate my login credentials.

I'm seeing optimised connections to internet hosts although not sure what it is: 151.101.52.x. It's not anything I / we own.

deanwebb

That's Perimeter Technologies from Morgantown, PA, USA hosted in Manchester, NH, USA.

http://perimetertechnologies.com/

Wifi dog fences?

deanwebb

Everyone in Sri Lanka wants a wifi dog fence?

WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN

Dieselboy

Dean how can you use phrases like "I DONT EVEN" when I don't even get that phrase myself. I'm 31 on Sunday!

Gawd knows what the dog fencing is about, may be someone there was browsing the web. I'm told Akamai use Riverbed, may be this was a website behind akamai but I really don't know. Confusing.

deanwebb

The whole range belongs to that firm.

As for my vocabulary... until 3 years ago, I was teaching high school.

Duh!

Dieselboy

You remind me of my friend with the exact same name as a famous olympic swimmer. He teaches history in school and acts like a teenager most times. Very funny.

deanwebb