I am still alive

Started by Nerm, June 20, 2016, 08:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

I am sure nobody noticed (lol), but I have been gone for a while. I took the family to Panama City Beach for a little over a week and as a relax/detox I left the laptop in the condo while I sat on the beach. :)

btw, the drive from Indiana to PCB and back is a bitch.

deanwebb

The good thing about online forums is that we don't have to post out of office notices. :D

That being said, I will be on vacation from 24 June through 8 July, big ol' road trip to review Civil Rights History.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

How many miles are you looking at for that road trip? I just did a little over 1,600 with a 4 year old and a 7 year old and now I know why some animals eat their young lol.

deanwebb

This is a short one for us, about 2500 miles. We've done two 5000+ mile trips in the past.

Granted, Our youngest was 8 on the first 5000 miler... we had no intention of making such a huge haul with kids that would be oblivious to the trip.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Dieselboy

Just Googled this up, Google says about 12 hours solid. Imagine it was probably double that for you. Still, how was the beach? Sounds like a nice break :)

Nerm

That is a lot of time sitting in a car dean. I don't think I could do it.

Quote from: Dieselboy on June 20, 2016, 09:37:58 PM
Just Googled this up, Google says about 12 hours solid. Imagine it was probably double that for you. Still, how was the beach? Sounds like a nice break :)

Between all the stops (kid potty breaks) and TERRIBLE traffic it took about 15 hours each way which we spread over two days. I literally live right by the Ohio river and can be in Kentucky in about 15 minutes from my house.

The beach was great. The weather was great. All the girls in bikinis was great....errrr.... I mean the view was great lol.

deanwebb

Speaking of Kentucky, I'm going to be going through Louisville on 2 July, en route from Cincinnati to Nashville. We plan to see the Muhammad Ali Center while we're there.

Nerm

Quote from: deanwebb on June 21, 2016, 11:45:34 AM
Speaking of Kentucky, I'm going to be going through Louisville on 2 July, en route from Cincinnati to Nashville. We plan to see the Muhammad Ali Center while we're there.

If your kids like science and you have the time the Science Center/Museum in Louisville is great. It is also only a couple blocks from the Ali Center.

deanwebb

We'll have to see... anywhere good to eat near that area?

Nerm

Yes Louisville is considered one of the top "foodie" destinations in the States. Any particular type of food you prefer?

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on June 21, 2016, 01:27:12 PM
Yes Louisville is considered one of the top "foodie" destinations in the States. Any particular type of food you prefer?
We prefer close to the Ali Center. :-)
My wife and kids prefer chicken, I've got no restriction on my proteins. We're on the road, so anything with good, solid vegetables is very welcome: Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese tend to feature the veggies in a good way. But if there's a world-famous pizza place or something like that, we're up for it.

With that being said, we are eating lunch on Day One of the trip at a place Alton Brown featured on his "Driving on Asphalt: The River Run" series. It's Mr. D's Old Country Store in Lorman, MS. I ate there once before. BEST FRIED CHICKEN, EVER. NO, REALLY. SHUT UP. IT'S THAT GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTAywgaJyD4

It ain't $5.99 no more, I can tell you that. Worth every penny, though. I got tingles watching that video when I saw the food and remembered. Oh man, it is so good.

Dieselboy

Quote from: Nerm on June 21, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
If your kids like science and you have the time the Science Center/Museum in Louisville is great. It is also only a couple blocks from the Ali Center.

I love all these science museums. I would go on my own or with a female friend that would go.
Went to the space centre in England, it was less than my expectations. Nothing on Nasa in Florida.

They have one here in Perth once month which is over 18's only. They have a topic (last weekend was about dinosaurs). And they have a bar and server alcohol and then you learn about stuff like space or dinosaurs etc.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on June 21, 2016, 05:19:42 PM
My wife and kids prefer chicken, I've got no restriction on my proteins. We're on the road, so anything with good, solid vegetables is very welcome: Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese tend to feature the veggies in a good way. But if there's a world-famous pizza place or something like that, we're up for it.

With that being said, we are eating lunch on Day One of the trip at a place Alton Brown featured on his "Driving on Asphalt: The River Run" series. It's Mr. D's Old Country Store in Lorman, MS. I ate there once before. BEST FRIED CHICKEN, EVER. NO, REALLY. SHUT UP. IT'S THAT GOOD.

It ain't $5.99 no more, I can tell you that. Worth every penny, though. I got tingles watching that video when I saw the food and remembered. Oh man, it is so good.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/RestaurantsNear-g39604-d587544-Muhammad_Ali_Center-Louisville_Kentucky.html
http://www.opentable.com/landmark/restaurants-near-muhammad-ali-center

LoL, internet is wonderful, and my Google-Fu presides
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Nerm

@ristau5741 A lot on that list are good restaurants, but only 3 or 4 of them are really within "walking" distance from the Ali Center IMO. The problem with the "eating" area the Ali Center is close to is all the fat wallet places. For example Morton's Steakhouse (about a block from Ali Center) has some of the best food around, but the wife and I only go on special occasions about once a year because that is about all normal people can afford to go lol.

Quote from: deanwebb on June 21, 2016, 05:19:42 PM

Luigi's Pizza is good and is within walking distance from the Ali Center. One of them on the list ristau5741 listed is Proof on Main which is right by Luigi's but is very expensive. If you don't mind walking about 4 blocks Bristol (www.bristolbarandgrille.com) is REALLY good and it also is a good representation of the "local" cuisine. Me personally if you are going to be there for lunch then I would do Luigi's, but if there for dinner then I would do Bristol. Morton's and Jeff Ruby's are both VERY good but are more upscale chain places that aren't unique to the area.

Netwörkheäd

Luigi's sounds like the place, then. Thanks! Would you be able/interested in joining us?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Let's not argue. Let's network!