New SAN coming soon :)

Started by Dieselboy, July 22, 2016, 07:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

Just sat in on a demo for Nasuni and found it fairly impressive.

burnyd

Quote from: Dieselboy on August 17, 2016, 09:53:41 PM
Quote from: burnyd on July 25, 2016, 02:50:06 PM
What vendor? I would highly suggest pure.

Hi mate, done a bit of background reading on Pure this morning. I'm very keen to get them in for discussions. I particularly like the flat maintenance free with zero cost hardware upgrades. I wonder what the maintenance frees are though :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Yah you really cant lose with that.  But go over the tech field day videos they are more than enough knowledge of the product.  I cannot suggest them enough.

Dieselboy

Ended up going with a hybrid Nimble. 3 year maintenance is under $10k AUD, compared to NetApp which quoted $48k AUD.

I liked what Pure had to offer but with my lack of storage experience it makes me feel uneasy how Pure can spec out 5TB of RAW disk space and suggest we can store 10-15TB on it. Apparently compression is a big thing these days.

Just looked up Nasuni.
I like how each of these storage vendors does the "basic" storage but in addition they each seem to have an "edge" to capture their share of the market.

icecream-guy

Quote from: Dieselboy on September 12, 2016, 09:15:58 PM
Ended up going with a hybrid Nimble. 3 year maintenance is under $10k AUD, compared to NetApp which quoted $48k AUD.

I liked what Pure had to offer but with my lack of storage experience it makes me feel uneasy how Pure can spec out 5TB of RAW disk space and suggest we can store 10-15TB on it. Apparently compression is a big thing these days.

Just looked up Nasuni.
I like how each of these storage vendors does the "basic" storage but in addition they each seem to have an "edge" to capture their share of the market.

I don't see why disk compression is so big these days,  disk storage is so cheap it's ridiculous.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Dieselboy

I had that same thought... Some vendors even boast that regular comsumer SATA SSD can be used which reduces costs.