Poll - Integrated chat

Started by SimonV, July 25, 2016, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Add integrated chat on the forum?

Good idea!
No thanks!

SimonV

I was just discussing this with Dean and I'm curious to see if anyone else would be interested in integrating a chat box on to the forums. In my opinion, it would be perfect for all the small questions that aren't worth a new thread, off-topic chit-chat and frustrated rants.

What's your opinion? Vote or discuss!

deanwebb

As long as we don't ruin the forum vibe with discussions that start fights (religion, politics, Star Trek vs. Star Wars), I'm all for it.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

burnyd

Any chance of just doing a public slack channel?

deanwebb

I've never used slack... could you explain how it's different from IRC?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

burnyd

Its really cool. I have a few channels I am on currently.  You have to invite people.  Once they are invited its like IRC for 2016 with like modern day media and all sorts of things.

Its also used a lot of time for things like software development but thats a whole other use case.

join the pp one if you want

http://packetpushers.net/future-collaboration-asynchronous/

SimonV

deanwebb

OK... https://networking-forums.slack.com/messages/general/
Now, do I need to invite everyone to it, or can folks just apply to join and then get approved?

that1guy15

My vote is yes but I agree with Burnyd, slack would be a solid option.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

that1guy15

maybe even split this thread and see what slack channels everyone is subscribed to.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Dieselboy

How does slack work?

I dont think a chat would be good for this forum. I reckon it would work like facebook chat? Seems like another avenue for spammers

SimonV

Quote from: Dieselboy on July 27, 2016, 01:12:23 AM
I dont think a chat would be good for this forum. I reckon it would work like facebook chat? Seems like another avenue for spammers

Naah, it's just an add-on for SMF forums. It's integrated into the menu and takes you to a group chat box.

Screenshots here: https://frug.github.io/AJAX-Chat/screenshots.html

mmcgurty

I'd be willing to try it but I would be almost certain my company blocks Slack.  If that would be the case, I would end up just idling more than anything like I do with Discord with my gaming buddies.  With wife and kids and work, there just isn't enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do.

deanwebb

Since I'd have to invite people to slack - auto-approve is done only for a domain, it seems - I'll try an SMF plugin.

Netwörkheäd

Tried working with SA Chat... it was free, but breaks HTTPS because it pulls in data via HTTP. Then it just flat-out breaks on Chrome.

There are other chat programs, yes, but they tend to make a website pay up if it wants to have more than 5 people chatting... grrr...
Let's not argue. Let's network!