All Your Wireless Are Belong to Us

Started by deanwebb, August 06, 2016, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1470734/1/JS%20Atkinson%20-%20Thesis%20-%20Your%20WiFi%20Is%20Leaking,%20Inferring%20Private%20User%20Information%20Despite%20Encryption.pdf

tl;dr: WLAN traffic is encrypted in the main channel, but side-channel traffic can be intercepted, examined, and used to determine some of the information in the main channel.

:zomgwtfbbq:

Yeah, I know... scary stuff...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Sorry but a bit of a different subject - what does tl;dr mean? Because I googled this and it says that it means "Too long, didnt read". It's for my own info, for another situation :)

That link isn't working for me, do you have a saved copy? I normally grab stuff and save it local if it's important in case it gets removed or breaks. I have a folder called "config guides and useful web pages"  :awesome:

deanwebb

tl;dr means what you found. "The tl;dr" is the shortest summary of a long read.

Attaching the file to the thread, why not?

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Finished with Section 2... my big takeaway from this is that mobile devices are most susceptible to side-channel data gathering because they are least likely to pad out packets and stagger request times - they want max throughput and data delivered upon demand.

If you're using a PC, run BitTorrent to mess with anyone trying to figure out your other traffic. Also, the timing and length of standard English-language Skype conversations allows them to be decoded to some extent. Specialized vocabulary and/or regional accents can throw such efforts off.

In general, even though wifi itself encrypts everything below the 802.11 header, those headers themselves allow for a rich amount of metadata that is available for anyone to intercept and mull over.

On to section 3.

deanwebb

Section 3 dealt with the ethics involved in setting up the experiment... can go straight to summary, if you like.

Section 4 is about collecting the data, reading that now... OK, read that, it's basically a how-to DIY guide.

Section 5... this is where the findings are presented... reading that now...

Nerm

This is a thesis for a doctorate in philosophy? Am I the only one finding that odd? lol

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on August 08, 2016, 07:49:17 AM
This is a thesis for a doctorate in philosophy? Am I the only one finding that odd? lol

It's a PhD in Security and Crime Science. :doh:

Dieselboy