Advice for CCNA

Started by Iampinto, August 21, 2016, 07:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iampinto

Hi all,

Just came across this site. I was hoping if I could get some feedback into getting a ccna. I don't have a huge background with IT, but my brother has mentioned that I should study for a CCNA. He says you don't really need to have a background in systems or anything other than networking.

What are your thoughts on someone getting into networking at this time? Considering recent layoffs, do you think it's worth getting into? Would you do it again, after all your experience?

I hope to read your responses soon!

icecream-guy

it's a great field to be in.  there are many different opportunities in IT.  just gotta focus on you goals and have drive.
as for the CCNA. start with the CCENT, you will need that to get your CCNA. (it's a requirement)
CCNA is liek the defacto standard employers are looking for when they are hiring. finding a job in IT, may be tough at the onset. but one you are in, you are in. you may need to start off in a NOC running 3rd shift network monitoring. but heed my statement above. focus and drive.
it'll all pay off.

I would do it again, if I had my chance to start over. only thing I would probably do different is get my BS and look for better opportunities with bigger companies. my whole career pretty much are short term hops from one small company to another. company's closing, being sold, downsizing, etc. but I've moved up from a tape librarian on a mainframe (back on the late 80's) to network engineering for a major US government agency.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Hello Iampinto!

Cisco may have layoffs, but other firms are seriously looking for good IT talent, especially in networking and security. I'm in network security. I made the decision to get into it 3 years ago, and I made that decision after having done 7 years in IT from 1995-2002. I actually did "do it again". :D

The field is exciting, very dynamic, and if you know how to sell yourself, you'll be considered for some great positions. If you know how to do your stuff very well, you will *keep* those great positions. The CCNA is what will get your foot in the door and your experience will open more and more doors as the years go on. I love it in IT. The job I'm in right now is one of the best I've ever had.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Iampinto

Thank you for the positive replies. It's a bit scary for me. I've spent 5+years working my way up to ass man at a shoe company. I need a change, I need something more challenging. I'm just afraid of the transition. As I said, I'm not the most tech savvy, I get by more than the average user, but this is a whole new ball game. I've been studying for the ccent (icnd1) but I guess I'm just scared of this new path I want to walk down.

icecream-guy

let me tell you the shoe business is a trap,  spent most of my high school days and early career in the shoe business. you don't want to be one of those guys with 20-30 years experience of selling shoes to kids and little old blue haired ladies. you really don't. Any change has it's fear and worry. but if you don't try, you'll never know if you would have succeeded or not, then one day 20 years from now, daydreaming at your desk in your shoe store management position among all the singles and rejects sitting around your office, wondering what would have been...what could have been. It's easier to change careers before you start one, than it is mid-stream.  IT and network engineering is not real difficult, one just has to understand the basics, be able to troubleshoot, and fix problems quickly.  It's all really just electricity, ones and zeros ya know..

..black or brown... tie or slip on.... :barf:
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Don't be scared. Proceed forward with faith that you will succeed, even if it means failing a test or three along the way. Consider failed tests to be part of your learning and forge ahead. We are here to help.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Rllavona13

Stay focused, search online all you can about networking, vendors certifications etc... Like Ristau said, you can take the exam in two parts. First is literally the fundamentals of networking, you have to understand every bit of it,  personally every topic i am learning i make sure to understand it fully and test myself trying to explain the topic to others if i can explain it well i move to the next topic and so on.

You can download GNS3 for example or Cisco Packet Tracer when you are reading about configurations and TRY EVERYTHING you read. for example you are reading about VLANS so try to configure the most switches(VIRTUAL LAB) you can full of vlans later on top of that you put a router and start setting up "Router In a Stick" for example...

But keep focus in your main goal, LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN and PRATICE ALL DAY. Later you can learn Juniper too and other vendors.

Good Luck! You can do it!!1

deanwebb

+1 on getting Juniper exposure. They have LOTS of free training material, and it is very high quality. It will help you learn more about networking from a non-Cisco perspective and you learn what works best when you have a multi-vendor environment.

Rllavona13

i am a Cisco Guy but the way Juniper works with the control plane/forwarding plane is really cool and the commit feature is really a life/jov saver if you  dont know what the hell are you doing  lol

Quote from: deanwebb on August 26, 2016, 09:40:31 PM
+1 on getting Juniper exposure. They have LOTS of free training material, and it is very high quality. It will help you learn more about networking from a non-Cisco perspective and you learn what works best when you have a multi-vendor environment.

RoDDy

Quote from: Rllavona13 on August 26, 2016, 10:05:41 PM
i am a Cisco Guy but the way Juniper works with the control plane/forwarding plane is really cool and the commit feature is really a life/jov saver if you  dont know what the hell are you doing  lol

Cisco has commit as well.... #XR

NetworkGroover

Quote from: RoDDy on September 01, 2016, 04:36:48 PM

It doesn't work the same way.  Arista has it as well but doesn't work the same way either.  I don't believe either do a check before attempting to commit config... like on Juniper you can do a "commit check" to verify integrity.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Rllavona13

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on September 02, 2016, 02:31:15 PM

It doesn't work the same way.  Arista has it as well but doesn't work the same way either.  I don't believe either do a check before attempting to commit config... like on Juniper you can do a "commit check" to verify integrity.

Thank you. You get it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoDDy

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on September 02, 2016, 02:31:15 PM

Sounds nice. I will look it up as i'm not very knowledgeable on the juniper world.

LynK

shutdown interface all

check commit

*Valid command*

Commit

:problem?: :problem?:
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb