Hobbies "Non-IT" Discussion

Started by Nerm, August 26, 2016, 08:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

Just curious what others in the field do as hobbies when not working. Could be sports, gaming, fishing, model airplanes, or whatever.

Me:
I am a big sports guy. Basketball, football, baseball, and recently I have taken up golf. I personally love to do just about anything outdoors. Hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, etc. I also enjoy cooking/grilling or as my wife calls it "experimenting" lol. I also like history from just about any time period and region.

deanwebb

I like to follow pro football (handegg for those not in the USA) so I'll have something to chat about with guys at work. I also do an oldies radio show with my mom on Saturday mornings (KNON.org from 1000 to 1200, US Central Time) that's lots of fun.

Victoria 2 is my constant gaming addiction... Tried EU4 for a while and enjoyed it, but I keep coming back to Vicky2. If Paradox ever makes Victoria 3, I'll have to consider early retirement, I guess.

I do enjoy watching US Army training films, as well...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

I got a 200sqft garden I poke around in during spring/summer/fall,
this year 4 different kinds of tomatoes, 2 different kids of beans, & okra.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Otanx

IT is my hobby as well as my job for the most part. However, you can't do that all the time. So when not doing IT I watch football and read (sci-fi and fantasy books mostly).

-Otanx

icecream-guy

Quote from: Otanx on August 26, 2016, 05:11:26 PM
IT is my hobby as well as my job for the most part. However, you can't do that all the time. So when not doing IT I watch football and read (sci-fi and fantasy books mostly).

-Otanx

when I'm done for the day, I want to go home and not even touch a computer.  I couldn't see going home and banging on the keyboard for another 3-4 hours.

Nerm

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 26, 2016, 12:08:46 PM
I got a 200sqft garden I poke around in during spring/summer/fall,
this year 4 different kinds of tomatoes, 2 different kids of beans, & okra.

I have thought about starting a garden multiple times. I am always worried I am not going to have enough time to take care of it though. Plus my "large" dogs would probably just destroy it anyway. I do miss the fresh veggies I always had growing up as a kid. What you buy in the store cannot compare.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 28, 2016, 06:49:31 AM
when I'm done for the day, I want to go home and not even touch a computer.  I couldn't see going home and banging on the keyboard for another 3-4 hours.

I can relate to that.  I used to be all about it when I was younger and didn't have kids.  Now, I just don't have the energy/motivation to dig into networking after doing it for my regular work day - at least until I run into an issue where my employer tells me I suck and risk losing my job.

So now, after work... it's family stuff and DJing.

Guess it's time to move into management. ;P
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

SofaKing

Up until about three weeks ago my hobby was weight lifting.  Would love to wake up and pound out some stress before heading into work but then I broke my wrist.  Two weeks after breaking my wrist I found out that I also destroyed the tendon going to my thumb which made it so I couldn't move my thumb.  Just had a second surgery taking a tendon from my index finger and re-routing it to my thumb(guess the index finger had an extra).  I'll get a fiber glass cast in about two weeks which I'll have for 2 - 3 months.  Might take up running now... will be a bit before I can use my right hand for anything.
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

deanwebb

Just watch those ankles when you run...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SofaKing

Quote from: deanwebb on August 29, 2016, 02:10:12 PM
Just watch those ankles when you run...

LOL - Thanks for the advice!   

SimonV

I started running a couple of weeks ago. Every two days but it's still short tracks with pauses - smoked for 15 years and never really did any sports. First half of evening is spent on the kids and then I do smaller projects and paperwork. I also read a lot of books lately, almost done with GoT and picked up the Dark Towers series now. The weekends I slave in the garden and cook or dine out. Oh yes, and beer :)

Expiring CCNP is always on the back of my mind though, think I'll have to man up soon :(

icecream-guy

broke my wrist last October in the "accident". Make difficult driving, had to lean to do much right handed, and tore up my shoulder to boot.

jericho

I used to play rugby, old age & a wrist reconstruction finished that off. Nowadays I scuba dive instead.

SofaKing

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 30, 2016, 01:27:43 PM
broke my wrist last October in the "accident". Make difficult driving, had to lean to do much right handed, and tore up my shoulder to boot.

How's your wrist recovery?  I'm a little concerned with the tendon issue.

Otanx

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 28, 2016, 06:49:31 AM

For me it is the difference on being paid to care/do something vs what I am actually interested in. Sometimes those overlap, but not always. What I should do is get out of the chair, and work out. I used to enjoy running.

-Otanx