Certification Goals for 2017... What Are Yours?

Started by icecream-guy, September 30, 2016, 12:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Quote from: ristau5741 on March 03, 2017, 10:46:13 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on September 30, 2016, 12:32:31 PM
well since 2016 is waning, I'll start the new thread.

probably going to go for that CISSP next.
maybe look into the AWS Solutions Architect
or maybe one of those Python Certs,

my eye are big again.... looking for that next fix...

here it is March already and I've done zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

well next to nothing,  I did load a debian VM and wrote my first python script
'Hello World'

I need a better python book,  the swampy package that goes with thinkpython.....well I don't like downloading and installing things I don't understand...
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

that1guy15

Quote from: ristau5741 on March 31, 2017, 08:13:36 AM
I need a better python book,  the swampy package that goes with thinkpython.....well I don't like downloading and installing things I don't understand...

Alot of people recommend "automate the boring stuff with Python" as a good starter book. I have not read it.
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

Ive done codeacademy (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python) which was a good hands on intro and I also poke around in Googles python classes (https://developers.google.com/edu/python/)

There are tons of resources online. You can sift through here and see if something works for you
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

icecream-guy

Quote from: that1guy15 on March 31, 2017, 10:06:50 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on March 31, 2017, 08:13:36 AM

Alot of people recommend "automate the boring stuff with Python" as a good starter book. I have not read it.
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

Ive done codeacademy (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python) which was a good hands on intro and I also poke around in Googles python classes (https://developers.google.com/edu/python/)

There are tons of resources online. You can sift through here and see if something works for you
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books

I like the code academy course   very Monty Python.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Lots of audits coming up, there goes either free time or desire to do networky stuff in free time.

:flipdesk:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

aaaand its looking increasingly remote that I am in a state to tackle the CCDE written by even May. Let alone RHCA/RHCE or Azure. Thankfully re-cert deadline is November (well technically November next year if I want to drift in suspended state - my employer won't care LOL).

I have a stack of EVPN and automation books/white-papers to digest from multiple vendors. Then some product development work on various SD-WAN stacks. Rapidly approaching information overload.....

deanwebb

Beginning to wonder if employers loading up staff with so much work that they earn a big bonus, but have no time to study for a cert is some kind of HR thing to retain employees... if the schedule ever clears up enough for one to get a new cert that demands more comps, maybe the employer is hoping you'll leave so they can hire a new guy.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Mario

I just became CCNA DC certified and also looking at the AWS associate certs and learning a bit more of Linux.

But Python cert? Is there one?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---
Mario

deanwebb

Don't know about a python cert, but there's a thread here about going to humblebundle and loading up on python books there.

I think that python expertise makes itself evident rather quickly, if given permission to turn on a Linux scripting host.

wintermute000

No such thing as a dev cert... The horror. Multiple choice python exam ROFL

Mario

Quote from: deanwebb on April 15, 2017, 08:12:34 AM
Don't know about a python cert, but there's a thread here about going to humblebundle and loading up on python books there.

I think that python expertise makes itself evident rather quickly, if given permission to turn on a Linux scripting host.
Yep. You just brought something relevant too for all "windows only" folks like me: a bit of Linux doesn't hurt. I remember there was a cert called LPI. Still relevant today?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---
Mario

deanwebb

I think if you show up sober and say, "I know Linux", they'll hand you the Red Hat box everyone else is scared of and invite you to go to town on it.

config t

Long time no see fellas.

ForeScout is my new sexy. I had a pretty cool offer to move to VA and become a ForeScout engineer so I jumped on it.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Quote from: config t on May 01, 2017, 01:24:30 PM
Long time no see fellas.

ForeScout is my new sexy. I had a pretty cool offer to move to VA and become a ForeScout engineer so I jumped on it.

If you're in VA, I'mma gonna guess you're working in the public sector... feel free to pick my brains on ForeScout, I've been working with it for over 3 years now and a bunch of what you see in the product today is because of what my company put it through.

PROTIP: that minimum recommendation for a VCT-10000 to have 8 CPU and 16GB RAM is a joke. A lowly CT-2000 comes with 16 CPU and 24GB RAM. We're going to go through all our VCT-10000s and start bumping them up to 16/24 because we'd like them to do lots of stuff without having any resource issues.

wintermute000

Ha what a change - I don't recall you ever passionately ranting about the joys of dot1x/RADIUS unlike some people here..... congrats on the move, hope it works out for ya.

config t

Quote from: wintermute000 on May 03, 2017, 07:41:29 AM
Ha what a change - I don't recall you ever passionately ranting about the joys of dot1x/RADIUS unlike some people here..... congrats on the move, hope it works out for ya.

Wuba-luba-dub-dub! I'm looking for something new, I keep getting pigeon holed into campus networking.

Quote from: deanwebb on May 01, 2017, 03:22:02 PM
If you're in VA, I'mma gonna guess you're working in the public sector... feel free to pick my brains on ForeScout, I've been working with it for over 3 years now and a bunch of what you see in the product today is because of what my company put it through.

PROTIP: that minimum recommendation for a VCT-10000 to have 8 CPU and 16GB RAM is a joke. A lowly CT-2000 comes with 16 CPU and 24GB RAM. We're going to go through all our VCT-10000s and start bumping them up to 16/24 because we'd like them to do lots of stuff without having any resource issues.

Appreciated. I'm willing to bet you have heard of the folks doing this project. Will drop you a PM.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.