Certification Goals for 2017... What Are Yours?

Started by icecream-guy, September 30, 2016, 12:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Tom is a good writer also, he makes the read very easy. puts forth information in a simple forward manner.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

config t

Quote from: PackersPride on November 10, 2016, 08:38:28 AM
I am looking to begin my journey with the CCNA Routing and Switching certification.  I look forward to learning all I can about becoming a Network Engineer.

Welcome and good luck with your studies.

I was born and raised in Green Bay, WI. Sadly the Pack isn't doing so great this year.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

jason.copas

Mine has to be to finish my CCNP R&S.  In November my company dropped it in my lap that my position will require it on the new contract.  And they start filling those slots in February...

Luckily I had already passed SWITCH and started on the ROUTE book.  I'm sitting that exam Thursday and hope to do TSHOOT around late January.

I'm not sure where to go after that, and that is the main reason I registered to this site this afternoon.  Where to go after CCNP R&S?  I already have CCNA Security, but not really interested in that path right now.  We are just deploying the new ISE boxes, but I really have little control over that piece.   We have a new data center complete with new network core/distribution layers that I will be standing up late in 2017.  Part of that project will be having multiple separate campus networks collapsing down into one (finally).  I am thinking the design track will be most useful in the short term.  But I have also thought of taking some time off Cisco and working on something else.  Maybe learn a scripting language, do a linux cert or dig into wireshark.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SimonV

The Design track would indeed make sense in your case, and if I remember well it's only two exams to the CCDP after you've cleared CCNP

deanwebb

I'd say that CCNP-Security is now much more specialized than it was when I sat for it. It's less general security knowledge and more "Here's how to spell 'security' with 'Cisco' in the middle!" CCDP is only the CCDA and CCDP exams, which is nice for you with an R&S.

Watch out on the Design tests: there is a LOT of emphasis on how to sell and run a project the Cisco way.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

jason.copas

Quote from: deanwebb on December 21, 2016, 08:20:32 AM
I'd say that CCNP-Security is now much more specialized than it was when I sat for it. It's less general security knowledge and more "Here's how to spell 'security' with 'Cisco' in the middle!" CCDP is only the CCDA and CCDP exams, which is nice for you with an R&S.

Watch out on the Design tests: there is a LOT of emphasis on how to sell and run a project the Cisco way.
Ugh, please tell me the design track is not similar to the partner tests (I did ASASE for my company).  I hated that test.

that1guy15

Blah, I have 9 months to recert my CCIE RS. Would seriously consider letting it laps but my wife would stab me in the face with a butter knife just for mentioning it.

So around new years Ill be picking up the materials needed to start on the CCDE written.  yay!
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

deanwebb

Quote from: jason.copas on December 21, 2016, 01:18:56 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on December 21, 2016, 08:20:32 AM

Ugh, please tell me the design track is not similar to the partner tests (I did ASASE for my company).  I hated that test.

I never took a partner test, but I'll bet a lot of that kind of stuff is in the non-technical part of the Design tests.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

Otanx

Got an email from Cisco my CCNP is expiring. Could have sworn I just renewed it. Time flies. Coincidentally my wife hit a $300 jackpot on a slot machine this week. Sounds like a free CCIE Written attempt to me.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on December 22, 2016, 01:17:35 PM
Got an email from Cisco my CCNP is expiring. Could have sworn I just renewed it. Time flies. Coincidentally my wife hit a $300 jackpot on a slot machine this week. Sounds like a free CCIE Written attempt to me.

-Otanx

GOGOGOGOGOGO DOO EET NAO!

wintermute000

Quote from: that1guy15 on December 22, 2016, 08:14:10 AM
Blah, I have 9 months to recert my CCIE RS. Would seriously consider letting it laps but my wife would stab me in the face with a butter knife just for mentioning it.

So around new years Ill be picking up the materials needed to start on the CCDE written.  yay!
In same boat myself except have started reading. Definitive MPLS designs is old but awesome

SimonV

I'm considering going the design route and the first one would be CCDA exam. Most of the exam topics look like common sense anyway but perhaps I'll get some new insights. Anyone here that has taken the most recent 200-310 exam? 

wintermute000

I've just spoken to a few people who failed the real CCDE several times (all are current IEs and all are excellent engineers in my book). They have all said that you basically need a CCIE-SP level of understanding of MPLS stuff in addition to enterprise RS. Its seriously put me off taking it past the written (purely for recert)

SimonV

Don't think I would ever go up to the E-level, CCDP would probably be the furthest I go. Actually I was first looking at the Juniper Design track (pre-assessment exam was super-easy) but they don't have publicly available courseware.

that1guy15

Quote from: SimonV on March 03, 2017, 03:34:52 AM
I'm considering going the design route and the first one would be CCDA exam. Most of the exam topics look like common sense anyway but perhaps I'll get some new insights. Anyone here that has taken the most recent 200-310 exam?

Its been about 4 years since I took my CCDA/CCDP but the CCDA was simple as hell. A quick run through the book and taking notes along the way and a couple practice test and I passed on the first attempt. This was about 6-8 months after getting my CCNP.

The CCDP ARCH was harder and it took me a couple time to get that one.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net