Need help with telephony hardware for PSTN breakout with CUCM

Started by Dieselboy, October 12, 2016, 11:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

I have:
CUCM
a regular PSTN line.

I would like to link this PSTN line into CUCM, so I can make a PSTN call from a device registered to CUCM.

I had planned on sourcing a Cisco SPA unit: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/spa232d-multi-line-dect-ata/index.html
The above unit is a SIP device, and has FXS and FXO ports. I need an FXO port to be able to connect the unit to the PSTN line.
The problem is that the SPA device is now End Of Life and there doesn't look like there's anything that replaces it.

Has anyone done this before? What hardware did you use?

The alternative is to get a Cisco 2901 router with 2 port FXO VIC card, and voice licensing. This comes in at over $2000 (not RRP price!).

Dieselboy

LynK

Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

Dieselboy

Proper VGs have lots of ports and have the pricepoint to match. I want to link in 1x POTS line and don't want to spend $2000 doing it :)

I've not had the time to look into this but I will get round to it. I'll come back with what I end up doing.

wintermute000

LynK

diesel, they make a thing called an ATA which is a voice gateway, just smaller. I believe they make them in 2 and 4 port models. Be careful with these, we had one core dump our call manager. (running 10.5). Your cisco rep can lead you to the best model.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

Dieselboy

Easy mistake to make, I purchased an ATA and then remembered when I see it on my desk that it provides an FXS port. An FXS provides a "Station" or a telephone handset. What I actually need is an FXO port to connect to the "Office" or PSTN company.

Dieselboy

Just an update, I bought a Grandstream st503. It's working well. A benefit of this is that the device gives an FXO and FXS. When you plug a analogue phone into the FXS and the call comes in via FXO, it will ring the FXS device as well as sending the SIP INVITE to CUCM.
Admittedly, I struggled setting this up as a trunk in cucm so for the time being I configured it as a device which worked immediately. I will revisit this at some point.

Dieselboy

Went to buy another one of these and found that a) they no longer make them anymore and b) they have doubled in price.  :twitch:

Are people hitting this thread and then going out to buy them up, or what? If I had $1 for everyone who had read this thread... All I ask is that you post back with your experiences. Especially if you got it working with CUCM as a SIP trunk.