Device WiFi Issue

Started by fsck, December 26, 2016, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsck

For the last week or so, I've had an issue with my wireless.  For whatever reason my IOS devices (ipads and iphones) keep dropping connection.  Once I disable and enable the wireless on the device, I'm able to connect again.  But then it's really slow, yet my laptops are connecting and have no issues.  I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting this issue.

So far I've tried rebooting the devices, making sure they're updated and kept them within close range.  How would you go about troubleshooting an issue like this?  I want to download a wifi scanner, but that will tell me the channels they are connected too so not sure if that will help.  No changes have been made to the wifi, so it was working before.

SimonV

What sort of wireless setup do you have? Standalone or Controller-based? What are the security settings, preshared key or dot1x? 

fsck

This particular setup is a standalone setup.  I'm using preshared key.  I'm using a Cisco Aironet 1041 AP.

SimonV

Anything in the syslogs about deauthentication or other reason why the devices leave the bssid?

It's usually some iOS update on the Apple devices imho :)

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on December 28, 2016, 02:31:39 AM
Anything in the syslogs about deauthentication or other reason why the devices leave the bssid?

We had a similar issue at work, iOS update was what broke things and then, 2 weeks later, what suddenly fixed them.

If you want just a fix, call Apple and see if they can push an update faster, maybe.

If you want to use this as a learning opportunity, get your wireshark fired up and see what the captures show. Look for packets sent by the AP that are unanswered by the iOS device, resulting in a device not responding sort of error. Also check what authentication method you're using (PEAP, EAP-FAST, etc.)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

fsck

Quote from: SimonV on December 28, 2016, 02:31:39 AM

Wow! The syslogs on the AP are horrific!  First of all all the logs are from a long time ago.  I don't understand why they aren't the latest logs, and how I don't have options to view the latest logs.  Unless I'm completely blind.

I've noticed to fix the issue on the iPads, I simply just turn off WiFi, and turn it back on.  Then I'm good for about 15 to 20min.

deanwebb

This is perfect with your avatar:

:itcrowd:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

SimonV

Quote from: fsck on January 06, 2017, 06:49:08 PM
First of all all the logs are from a long time ago.  I don't understand why they aren't the latest logs, and how I don't have options to view the latest logs.  Unless I'm completely blind.

Are you sure the clock is set correctly? :)

fsck

Oh geez.  I just feel stupid now.  I didn't see an option in the GUI to set the time, so I never did it.  But I consoled into the AP and configured the correct time.  This might even cause some of the issues I am having.  The date was set for April 8 2003. :(

Now I can see what the logs say with the correct time, or maybe this might of fixed my issue.  I am sure an incorrect time/date sync could cause issues.

deanwebb

Quote from: fsck on January 08, 2017, 05:15:04 PM
Oh geez.  I just feel stupid now.  I didn't see an option in the GUI to set the time, so I never did it.  But I consoled into the AP and configured the correct time.  This might even cause some of the issues I am having.  The date was set for April 8 2003. :(

Now I can see what the logs say with the correct time, or maybe this might of fixed my issue.  I am sure an incorrect time/date sync could cause issues.

Don't feel like too much of a turnip. Setting time is something we forget to do quite often and, as you say, it can cause issues quite often, especially with certificates and security.

LynK

Time is essential in A LOT of wireless functionality. ALWAYS check the time on a controller
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

fsck

I finally got some log messages with the correct time/date.

WARNING: Packet to client a4b8.d844.6a21 reached max retries, removing the client.
INFORMATION: Interface Dot11Radio1, Deauthenticating Station a4b8.d844.6a21 Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

I see these error messages for two of my Apple devices, both of which disconnect from the network.  I know they have the correct credentials and password for the network, so not sure why it's saying previous authentication no longer valid. I read online that a possible fix would be to disable the Aironet extensions, which I believe is used when you have multiple AP's and it decides which AP is best to connect too.

icecream-guy

Quote from: fsck on January 15, 2017, 04:31:10 AM
I finally got some log messages with the correct time/date.

WARNING: Packet to client a4b8.d844.6a21 reached max retries, removing the client.
INFORMATION: Interface Dot11Radio1, Deauthenticating Station a4b8.d844.6a21 Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

I see these error messages for two of my Apple devices, both of which disconnect from the network.  I know they have the correct credentials and password for the network, so not sure why it's saying previous authentication no longer valid. I read online that a possible fix would be to disable the Aironet extensions, which I believe is used when you have multiple AP's and it decides which AP is best to connect too.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10626961/packet-client-x-reached-max-retries-removing-client

says:

Hello!

I have found this problem too. The MAC-address is from Macbook.

Packet to client xxxx.xxxx.xxxx reached max retries, removing the client

I solved it via:

interface Dot11Radio0

rts threshold 512

rts retries 128

that was just the first hit.. google "Packet to client reached max retries, removing the client"
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

fsck

Yes, I found that too and tried it but still same result.  Client is still dropping and error continues to reappear.

I did Google the issue before posting.

SimonV

I vaguely remember similar problems on our standalone APs but they have all been migrated since. Don't even know if we fixed it. But if it's only with Apple devices, it sounds like they have driver issues.

Is this WPA2/AES?