CCNA R&S

Started by ggnfs000, January 15, 2017, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggnfs000

Got a latest book for ccna r&s 200-105, nearly got the 200-101 which says will be replaced by 200-105 on cisco site. Before buying this book, I had very old (probably 5-6 old or more than that) which had quite different context.
The comparing to the one I just got, lot of wireless technology coverages are gone and SDN topics are in, which I am glad specially for the Wireless network is removed from it. I wasted so much of my time memorizing damn wifi speeds :).
here are the chapters:
ethernet lan
ipv4 routing protocols
WAN
ipv4 acls, qos
ipv4 routing and t-sooting
ipv6
misc
Does not seems to be alot compared to the old one.

deanwebb

My son studied for the 101 CCNA and missed it by >that much<, so he studied and labbed some more for the 105 CCNA and got massacred by the test. Reminded me of what I heard a guy at Cisco Live 2014 say: "All the material in the official cert guides will be on the test, but not everything on the test will be from the cert guides."

My son's not giving up, but he's still smarting from the bait-n-switch done by the latest exam. Which is a shame, because Wendell Odom really explains his stuff well and my son can do basic stuff pretty well. It's the basic stuff that *isn't* in the official cert guide that gutted his score, so he's getting other cert guides to help patch over the gaps. And by other cert guides, I mean wiki articles, RFCs and doing insane stuff in labs, just in case *that* turns up on the test.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

They really need too cut that crap out. How can different teams write the  tests and the books

jason.copas

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 16, 2017, 06:10:46 PM
They really need too cut that crap out. How can different teams write the  tests and the books
That bit me in the rear end a few years ago.  I bought a set of 640 series books for ICND1 and ICND2 and they changed to the 200 series before I felt comfortable enough to sit the 640 series ICND2 test.  I ended up buying the new ICND1 and ICND2 books to cover the curriculum change even though I already had the CCENT.  You would think I had learned my lesson, but I just ordered the CCDA and CCDP books and signed up for college...  I guess I am just a slow learner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ggnfs000

As a matter of fact, i glanced through new version 105 and it did not seem to be written well. Aside from wifi stuff being removed which i felt happy for,  the older one had a very good coverage on internetworking basics, subnets etc and guides the readers nicely and neatly written. New one directly started taking about vlans which is kind of weird. Not a huge problem for me but for the ones who just starting New to these topics it might be very confusing, i did not fell comfortable reating it. Pearson software also failed to connect to internet.

ggnfs000

"All the material in the official cert guides will be on the test, but not everything on the test will be from the cert guides"

Where the hell do you get the missing part from? Will they even tell? Perhaps it is in ccie or ccnp.. holy cow that is outrageous.

SimonV

:glitch:Isn't Cisco Press an independent company? 

Quote© 2017 Pearson Education, Cisco Press. All rights reserved.
800 East 96th Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240

http://www.ciscopress.com/about/

icecream-guy

need to get on the cisco site and read the exam requirements, then use that as a guideline, using all those resources and the Cisco web site to lean as much as your brain can hold.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ggnfs000 on January 16, 2017, 11:21:06 PM
"All the material in the official cert guides will be on the test, but not everything on the test will be from the cert guides"

Where the hell do you get the missing part from? Will they even tell? Perhaps it is in ccie or ccnp.. holy cow that is outrageous.

It'll be in their classes and "experience". I'm working on a set of study questions to help bridge the gap and will post them on this site when I'm ready with them. They'll be basic network stuff, so everyone should know them.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

ggnfs000

ok, one correction, backtrack looks like the one i picked was ISDN2 part. There were separate book for ISDN1. Thought the one i purchased is whole CCNA R&S. In the beginning it described that. Still have to purchase the other one which will double the cost.

deanwebb

Quote from: ggnfs000 on January 17, 2017, 12:08:13 PM
ok, one correction, backtrack looks like the one i picked was ISDN2 part. There were separate book for ISDN1. Thought the one i purchased is whole CCNA R&S. In the beginning it described that. Still have to purchase the other one which will double the cost.

That's another gotcha, there. Which book do I buy? Really annoying... makes me want to launch my own certification programs.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on January 17, 2017, 05:02:25 PM
makes me want to launch my own certification programs.

you could be the next Chris Bryant...
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 18, 2017, 07:21:22 AM

That's on the roadmap.  :professorcat: :matrix: 8)

ggnfs000

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 18, 2017, 07:21:22 AM

may be invent some networking protocol. just follow the specification on adjacent protocol interface and do whatever want inside the protocol, something exotic, worm or something.

ggnfs000

Quote from: ggnfs000 on January 17, 2017, 12:08:13 PM

That's another gotcha, there. Which book do I buy? Really annoying... makes me want to launch my own certification programs.

nearly got 200-101, 100-101. cisco web site says it is about to retire? and  i bough 200-105 and 100-105. I have been thinking to pass ccna for years (but my job is drastically different), now i purchased books at premium price, i am going to damn read every page to till the bitter end.