A Smart-alec IPv6 Question

Started by deanwebb, January 20, 2017, 03:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

So, I read that there is no limit to the number of IPv6 addresses that can be assigned to an interface.

Doesn't that mean that someone could then assign ALL the IPv6 addresses to an interface and exhaust the supposedly inexhaustable address space in one go?

:awesome:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

You're close, actually this leads to tcam exhaustion for multicast state as it has to join a new multicast group per address.

that1guy15

I would also assume the IPv6 stack would have a limit on the number it can support for the hardware. Not sure though.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Otanx

There was a bug about a year ago where you could crash a Windows box by sending 100 router advertisements with different networks. It would setup an address for itself on each one, and eventually fall over.

-Otanx

deanwebb

This is fun.

OK, so for my plan to work, apparently I need a MAJOR memory upgrade on a router... increase the number of tcam entries possible... make similar adjustments in the IPv6 stack...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

that1guy15

Quote from: deanwebb on January 21, 2017, 08:38:49 AM
This is fun.

OK, so for my plan to work, apparently I need a MAJOR memory upgrade on a router... increase the number of tcam entries possible... make similar adjustments in the IPv6 stack...

Or stand up a linux based router within a VM say Cumulus or quagga and go to town.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

deanwebb

Now to find a BGP peer to work with...

SimonV

Quote from: Otanx on January 20, 2017, 07:43:39 PM
There was a bug about a year ago where you could crash a Windows box by sending 100 router advertisements with different networks. It would setup an address for itself on each one, and eventually fall over.

-Otanx

Here it is: https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/ipv6-ra-flood.html

It will knock out everything in the VLAN, unless the vendors have already implemented a fix.

edit: it seems they implemented a fix in Win8.1

deanwebb

Great, so we can have a Windows host run a batch file and get those IPs on there!

:lol: