NETWORKING BASICS

Started by KARTHIKEYAN.K, January 21, 2017, 02:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otanx

DB guys are worse than dev guys. There is a Oracle doc that says you should turn spanning-tree off on your switches because it causes too much delay when bringing a port online. This delay can cause split brain issues in Oracle RAC. I am so glad we got rid of Oracle.

-Otanx

that1guy15

An old saying I learned applies here.

"No, I dont hate Windows admins, I actually like them. Because without them I would have to manage that shit!"

That is not my circus and those are not my clowns. Now back to routing...
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

deanwebb

Quote from: Otanx on January 27, 2017, 03:09:15 PM
DB guys are worse than dev guys. There is a Oracle doc that says you should turn spanning-tree off on your switches because it causes too much delay when bringing a port online. This delay can cause split brain issues in Oracle RAC. I am so glad we got rid of Oracle.

-Otanx

This is why, if we put a : before and and the end of oracle, we get:

:oracle:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

My 2901-voice router lives in my TV cabinet. I need to take the top off and vacuum the dust out. Still pretty quiet though, my a/c is louder. (lessons learned: control the dust).

Networking basics:
1. Learn how TCP works
2. Learn how switches, switch

... go from there.

Dieselboy

Quote from: that1guy15 on January 27, 2017, 09:40:34 PM
An old saying I learned applies here.

"No, I dont hate Windows admins, I actually like them. Because without them I would have to manage that shit!"

That is not my circus and those are not my clowns. Now back to routing...

Yep. I've never taken an MS cert. Built and still manage our domain. Learning curve like this: ->   |

deanwebb

Quote from: Dieselboy on January 28, 2017, 12:08:36 PM
Yep. I've never taken an MS cert. Built and still manage our domain. Learning curve like this: ->   |

I had a Windows NT 4.0 MCSE with specialization in MS Exchange.

I *had* an MCSE. Not going to get it again because I don't want to be a sysadmin again. But it *does* help me speak the language and to understand the tribe so that I can help them when their stuff goes down because of a network change they should have paid more attention to, and they come to me with:

:whatudo:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.