Macbook Pro or Air?

Started by Ironman, February 04, 2015, 03:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironman

Hi y'all! So my 2012 Macbook Pro bit the dust. It fell off the table and landed just so perfectly that it's beyond repair. I am now looking to replace it. I really like the look and feel of the 13" MacBook Air. My question is this:

Should I get a 13" Pro or Air? Either option will come with 8GB of RAM. I will be using it as a day to day laptop and also plan to run GNS3 and VMware Fusion with VIRL. My one gaming vice is Starcraft 2 and from what I am reading that game will do just fine. Any thoughts?

Seittit

I absolutely love my MB Air, can't recommend it more. That being said, any time I turn on a game (even WoW on low settings) I can hear and feel the fans kick in overdrive. If you plan on playing, or doing any intensive VM playing, I'd swing towards a Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SofaKing

Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

Ironman

I really like the look and feel of the Air but the more I read on it the more I think I will be going with a Pro again. I really like the Retina Pro because its slimmer but it's too pricey IMO.

deanwebb

I use PCs. Gotta love that right-click.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Ironman

I have a Dell Laptop for work that I use daily but I just hate Windows with a passion. It is necessary for work but outside of that I can't stand it.

mmcgurty

I have a Mid-2012 Apple Macbook Pro Retina with a 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB flash drive.  I am not sure I could ever go back to a Dell laptop again because this thing can do so much.  I would recommend the Macbook Pro because of all the extra ports you get.  I tend to use them all between a 30" Cinema display and Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, it leaves me with the 1 USB3.0.   I use it for my USB to Serial Ports adapters and Time Machine backup drive.

LynK

I am actually in the process of selling my 2010 pro, and upgrading to the latest retina with a SSD. I am pretty excited.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

icecream-guy

Quote from: Ironman on February 05, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
I really like the look and feel of the Air but the more I read on it the more I think I will be going with a Pro again. I really like the Retina Pro because its slimmer but it's too pricey IMO.

have you checked out the apple refurb store?
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Ironman

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 05, 2015, 11:23:00 AM

Good thinking. . . .thanks!!

LynK

Quote from: Ironman on February 05, 2015, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on February 05, 2015, 11:23:00 AM

Good thinking. . . .thanks!!

Ironman,

what did you decide on? I am thinking about getting the new pro as well. I am still not certain if I should get the 2k or the 2.5k varient. Thoughts?

Ironman

Hey Lynk, still weighing my options. I am definitely leaning towards the Pro though. Trying to talk the wife/boss into the Pro Retina.

LynK

Quote from: Ironman on February 13, 2015, 12:51:17 PM
Hey Lynk, still weighing my options. I am definitely leaning towards the Pro though. Trying to talk the wife/boss into the Pro Retina.

which one? 13" or 15" which model?

Ironman

Quote from: LynK on February 13, 2015, 12:53:26 PM
Quote from: Ironman on February 13, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

which one? 13" or 15" which model?

I would go with the 13', since that is what I had in the past. Good size for travel and everyday use IMO.

Ironman

Hey guys, so I am going to go with the Pro Retina after all. Looking to get your opinions on one more aspect though.

13" with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM

OR

13" with 128GB SSD and 16GB RAM

Thoughts?