Macbook Pro or Air?

Started by Ironman, February 04, 2015, 03:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Why not 256GB SSD *and* 16GB RAM?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Ironman

Quote from: deanwebb on February 19, 2015, 09:27:24 AM
Why not 256GB SSD *and* 16GB RAM?

Looking at refurbs. I was leaning towards the 16GB of RAM because the SSD can be upgraded and the RAM cannot but 16GB might be overkill and the SSD's are pricey so it might be a waste to go that route.

Seittit

Always go with higher RAM, you can always iSCSI over more hard disk space

icecream-guy

lots of vids or music go for storage,   but more memory is always better,

if you could clearly fit into one of these categories
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-13-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

get the 16G RAM and upgrade the SSD
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Ironman

mmcgurty

Ironman

Got the 8GB RAM and 256GB HD, mainly because I use a program called Transmit to keep our family photo folder in sync with a NAS. I keep it on my macbook and its approaching 50GBs in size now. I have to clean it up but I like keeping it on my laptop because it makes the updates very easy IMO.

LynK

i just got my new 2K macbook pro 15". Boots up completely in 6 seconds (or less). I chose to get more RAM/less HDD because I have tons of flash drives...
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

Ironman

Quote from: LynK on February 24, 2015, 02:35:17 PM
i just got my new 2K macbook pro 15". Boots up completely in 6 seconds (or less). I chose to get more RAM/less HDD because I have tons of flash drives...

What did you get for RAM, 16? 6 seconds!!! My just came in the mail this morning so I haven't messed with it yet.

mmcgurty

If you need more storage space, check this out:

http://www.pny.eu/product/s-24-222/Accessories-for-Apple/StorEDGE-/

I have the 128GB version in my Apple 15" Macbook Pro Retina from Mid 2012.  Works great!  I got it for like $79.95 during a sale on Amazon once.

wintermute000

too late I guess but I would always say: can you run a 8Gb / 4 vCPU VM on it. If no, pass..... VIRL requires 8Gb/4vCPU. lol

Well GNS3 IOU VM runs OK on my work i7-4600u (dual core) so at least you're covered there!