Need your advice for my career as Internship or Entry Level for network engineer

Started by bloom, February 17, 2017, 07:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloom

Hi all,

I need your advice for my career. I am Telecommunications engineer, working in Mobile Telecom Industry (Working with MSC, HLR, MGW....). I come from Vietnam

I just relocated to US as my wife she started her PhD in Indiana University.

Before coming to US, I already tried to find Telecom jobs in Mobile Telecommunications but It is really hard to find such kind of jobs here. Due to that I decided to change my career to Networking. I already got CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S but almost of my experience is working with packet tracer and GSN3 (I studied both CCNA and CCNP from Udemy Online courses).

Now I am trying to find the job in networking. I also already had some interviews but since I have no real working experience in networking it is really hard to find the job.

My 1st priority for now is to have internship or entry level job for networking. I would be very delight if anyone can give me some advice for my career. from where should I get the chance for internship or entry level network career).

Currently, I am located in Bloomington, IN but I am willing to relocate within US

Thank you.

deanwebb

Hello Bloom,

Welcome aboard! Easiest way to start is to do a job search for network administrator or junior network administrator jobs in your area. I did such a search and got a good number of results, so the market looks good where you are. You do not need an internship, you should be employable right away.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

bloom

Quote from: deanwebb on February 17, 2017, 09:02:05 PM
Hello Bloom,

Welcome aboard! Easiest way to start is to do a job search for network administrator or junior network administrator jobs in your area. I did such a search and got a good number of results, so the market looks good where you are. You do not need an internship, you should be employable right away.

Thanks deanwebb,

However, the challenge with me right now is I have no working experience in the network also no reference in US.

It is really hard for me to apply for network administrator w/o working experience :(

Also, can you tell from where should I search for the job? I normally search on indeed, monster, Ziprecruiter...

icecream-guy

Look for a job in a NOC, that's usually where those with less experience get their foot in the door.  you might end up working 3rd shift, but you will be getting experience.  work hard,  show you employer that you can do the job, and start networking (with people),  put in a year or two, and then look for a real networking gig.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

bloom

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 19, 2017, 07:07:01 AM
Look for a job in a NOC, that's usually where those with less experience get their foot in the door.  you might end up working 3rd shift, but you will be getting experience.  work hard,  show you employer that you can do the job, and start networking (with people),  put in a year or two, and then look for a real networking gig.

Thanks @ristau5741

I already tried to apply for some NOC positions but seem they require for US citizen or Green Card at least :(

deanwebb

I was about to say "keep applying", and then I saw your comment about citizenship/permanent residency... and, yes, you need to have one of those *or* a work visa to allow you to work legally inside the USA.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us
https://www.thebalance.com/working-in-usa-guidelines-2064270

What is your current status? If you lack one of those documents, will you be able to get one?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

bloom

Quote from: deanwebb on February 24, 2017, 03:25:41 PM
I was about to say "keep applying", and then I saw your comment about citizenship/permanent residency... and, yes, you need to have one of those *or* a work visa to allow you to work legally inside the USA.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us
https://www.thebalance.com/working-in-usa-guidelines-2064270

What is your current status? If you lack one of those documents, will you be able to get one?

I am J-2 Visa holder and already have EAD

But I am not US citizen nor Green Card :(

deanwebb

Then you should be able to show those documents as proof of being able to work. Citizen/green card is a short way of noting persons have to have legal permission to work, but if you apply and get to the interview, you will be able to explain that you're OK to work in the USA.