Okay, so an advice is needed!

Started by Dekoo, February 05, 2015, 06:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekoo

Hi guys,

I am not sure whether it is the right place to ask this question, but I have been searching the sub-forums and I found no place where a member can ask for an advice.

The thing is, I got my CCNA last year and to sum it up, I think I know everything about it but I have no real experience with any of it. (I only tested/worked on GNS3 and CPT due to no firms wanting to hire a jr. network engineer(not sure if there is a name for it as well)

Now my question is whether I should start learning the CCNP R&S+Tshoot and will it improve my chances to find a job as a network engineer ?

Thanks!

deanwebb

In this last year, how many places have you interviewed at?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dekoo

Basically I only got a response on 1 out of 50ish CV's for interviews so that makes it 1. Also I am currently working as a junior Desktop Engineer (which ofcourse, has little to no connection with Cisco...). The key thing is that most of the firms in my country want a person who they will not have to train and stuff. Which is a pain in the ass because I can't find a job if the min. requirements for every single place I applied to is to have 3+ years of experience etc.

I haven't realized why this happens, but I am not the only one to notice that. Maybe because the market here is small ... I mean other than the banks and 3-4 companies, I barely know of a company that uses Cisco equipment or works with it.

wintermute000

Well a CCNP can't hurt, but yes XP is the key. There's no magic bullet for that unfortunately, just try everything - apply everywhere, volunteer at your present work for anything remotely network related and push to be given more network related tasks.

Ironman

You shouldn't be looking for Network Engineer positions. Concentrate on Network Administration at NOC type positions. Those are the real key to getting your foot in the door! You may have to take an odd shift but it will be worth it in the long run if you stick with it.

that1guy15

yep the comments above are dead on. You either need to find an entry level NOC position or find a solid company and grow fro the bottom.

Do start working on your CCNP, there is no reason to slow your studies and knowledge growth down. Just keep focused on getting experience any way you can. At your current position have you talked to the network manager and expressed your desire to move onto the team? Start working with the network engineers and help them with what ever they will let you. Beg for a spot on network projects no matter how small.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

Dekoo

Quote from: that1guy15 on February 06, 2015, 08:27:44 AM
yep the comments above are dead on. You either need to find an entry level NOC position or find a solid company and grow fro the bottom.

Do start working on your CCNP, there is no reason to slow your studies and knowledge growth down. Just keep focused on getting experience any way you can. At your current position have you talked to the network manager and expressed your desire to move onto the team? Start working with the network engineers and help them with what ever they will let you. Beg for a spot on network projects no matter how small.

Well basically the company I am currently in is a small company with around 10 employees. We have a system admin who is also a network engineer, support, etc ... You get the point I hope .... There ain't much to be done about it.

I am studying for 70-410 MCSA installation and configuration as well before I continue with CCNA studies.

If by NOC you mean Network Technician, I doubt I will have any luck finding one, due to most companies wanting an already trained and expirienced person.

Also, I would gladly accept tip in what I need to master/know in order to have a chance to apply for a networking related job.

Thanks, You guys are quite helpful already!

deanwebb

"Entry Level" are the words you are looking for in those NOC jobs.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

that1guy15

NOC = Network operations for an ISP or large company. You would be front line help-desk and hours can range from any time of day.

There is no silver bullet of knowledge that will open the doors for you to get a network job. You just gotta roll your sleeves up and bust your ass to move up.

Every job I have ever had in IT my team and leadership know specifically what my ambitions are and what I do and dont want to do. I used to walk into my bosses office about 2-3 time a month begging to get put on projects just surfacing. I didnt care what I did I just wanted to work side-by-side with the network Engineers. I didnt give a shit if it was just fetching them coffee for 8 hours.  Slowly I built up steam and got placed on that same team. This was a team of no more than 5-7.

I understand with smaller shops its harder so that might mean going else where. Pick up a desktop or Sys admin role at a smaller shop where you will get more exposure to networking and bust your ass and work up. Move on again if you run into a barrier. Just dont stop pushing.

Its all about a never give up attitude and never taking no for an answer. If you want it bad enough you will find a way.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net