Clingy End-Users

Started by deanwebb, February 06, 2015, 08:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

:developers:

I was helping this one guy with access to his server. Got it to where the firewall permitted all the client-server traffic just fine. His operation failed because his AD credentials weren't being accepted by the server. Not my problem, that's an AD issue or the app owner's issue or someone else in IT that I can't even imagine's issue. But I got the traffic from A to B, so it's not the network, and it's not the firewall.

I explain to the customer that it's someone else's issue, to go open a Remedy ticket with that some other person. Customer agrees.

Two hours later, I get a Remedy ticket... customer assigned it to me, since I'm "already familiar with the issue."

:umad: :jackie-chan: :rage:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

javentre

Speaking of Remedy ... my whole organization (~250 people in IT) uses it, except for me!  Somehow I've avoided getting sucked in and don't have to work based on tickets.
[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]

icecream-guy

what a lovely tool,  we have mandatory 4 hour training class for incident management, and another optional 4 hour training class for change management..  8 hours of Remedy training  :joy: :partay:

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 06, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
what a lovely tool,  we have mandatory 4 hour training class for incident management, and another optional 4 hour training class for change management..  8 hours of Remedy training  :joy: :partay:

We had, at last count, over 30 hours of Remedy training, since we're also content managers, content contributors, incident requestors, change requestors, knowledge owners, incident owners, and change owners.

:steamtroll:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on February 06, 2015, 08:54:29 AM

Two hours later, I get a Remedy ticket... customer assigned it to me, since I'm "already familiar with the issue."

That crap drives me nutts.

Quote from: ristau5741 on February 06, 2015, 11:04:55 AM

I was lucky enough to dodge that bullet and learned Remedy otj.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

No bullet dodging in a big corporation with the need to document training for regulatory compliance. YOU MUST TAKE ALL THE TRAINING. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. CLICKING FAST THROUGH THE POWERPOINTS IS FORBIDDEN BECAUSE THEY ARE ON TIMERS, DANGIT...

Dieselboy

That sounds like what my job used to be like:

1. start packet capture on inside and outside interfaces of firewall
2. show the server team that the packets are getting to the server and the server is sending back some sort of rubbish then a RST
3. go and make a cup of tea and have a biscuit
4. whilst eating said biscuit dunked in fresh hot tea, ponder how good it is to be a network admin

In all honesty though I usually went beyond the above. Especially if the server guy was a new person to the company I worked for and even more so if it were a customer. But the above still stood too.

So you are all using BMC Remedy?

We've just spent the past 9 or 10 months "configuring" BMC Footprints for our 34 users... It was only supposed to take 4 weeks but Footprints v12 was quite buggy and we were unable to go live with it due to some show stoppers. Down to only a handful of show stoppers now. The main workload is done by the professional services external company and BMC.