Previous topic - Next topic

SimonV

Netwörkheäd

Quote from: wintermute000 on June 10, 2015, 06:36:19 AM
thinking of adding 'ccie written but expire' on my sig  :dance:

DOO EET NAO! GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO 
Let's not argue. Let's network!

config t

CISSP and ITILv3 Foundation are next up for me.. I'm 150 pages into the Shon Harris (RIP) All in One.  :wall:

After this maybe a Blue Coat proxy admin cert.. I'm bucking for a position in WAN Sec. That's all I can handle for the rest of 2015. Next year.. hopefully CCNP Sec.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

that1guy15

congrats dude!

Im about to schedule my third attempt for late July early August.

Have fun with the labbing, this is where the real learning happens!!
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

Good luck mate! I'm a little off track, still 3 months away, been distracted by first the written (ugh), then vmware (interest) and palo alto (work related) stuff.

VCP-NV done today, booked in VCP5-DCV for 3 weeks (I've been itching to have a crack @ this for ages now, and I've stood up my home lab both in meatspace and nested at least 5 times now counting the NSX lab/vcenter!).

Will attempt to keep CCIE labbing in the meantime but its hard not to get sidetracked with all the other technologies to keep up. I need to also lab up some Palo Altos for work since I'm supposed to be running up a live implementation in a month so I'd better look like I sort of know what I'm doing!!!

Otanx

Congrats on the VCP-NV. Been doing some reading for that, and need to start labbing. Got side tracked doing automated installations of my nested lab. I have a PXE server with fully automatic installs of ESXi 6, and Windows 2008 R2 (for running vCenter). Now I just have to automate the vCenter install, and embed it into the 2008 install. Then whenever the eval expires I can just delete the old VMs, and spin up new ones in 10 minutes.

-Otanx

wintermute000

I just use the appliance rofl but I might lab the Windows install just because.
Also look into vmug evaluation licensing ( aka vmware TechNet) it's a steal

wintermute000

OK finally finished my CCIE procrastination I mean VCP-DCV. Two fingers up to their mandatory training requirement

Now to re-motivate myself to get back on the horse and crank out those CCIE labs. Been a month since my last proper lab...

deanwebb

My NAC project feels like all lab, all the time... I'm loving my 802.1X book so far, though.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

wintermute000

I'm upgrading a bunch of 3750s and a 6500VSS on the weekend for a client that runs wired 802.1x. If any of that sh-t breaks lord help me lol (shouldn't be, staying on same release train... fingers crossed)

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on July 16, 2015, 05:21:51 AM
I'm upgrading a bunch of 3750s and a 6500VSS on the weekend for a client that runs wired 802.1x. If any of that sh-t breaks lord help me lol (shouldn't be, staying on same release train... fingers crossed)

If the client is expecting to rely on a behavior that is deprecated or, worse, repaired, you may be involved in cleaning up the fan blades where the sewage has landed.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Reggle

Quote from: wintermute000 on July 16, 2015, 05:21:51 AM
In my experience, every upgrade so far on Cisco gear made 802.1x more stable. It's the Radius Server and client computer upgrades that were troublesome.

killabee

I passed the CCDP while at Cisco Live and I have several certs I want to get, but my biggest issue at the moment with having a diverse vendor cert collection is keeping track of them and renewing them.  I got a few CompTIAs (low hanging fruit) and the JNCIA exactly three years ago in the same month and they're all expiring soon.  Do I really want to spend time relearning/recerting them when I could be spending that time getting other more valuable cert? If I get a Check Point, Palo Alto, VMware, F5, and CWNA cert like I want, I'll have a laundry list of certs to renew in a few years (not to mention the Cisco ones).  For now, I have to pick and choose wisely or they'll bite me in the butt later.

I'd love to hear what others think of this, because at the same time I think I'm overthinking/overplanning, lol

SimonV

Yep, same feelings here. I was going to go after CCSA when I ever finish the JNCIS-SEC but then that would be another vendor to maintain and renew. For now, I'll just stick with Juniper and Cisco and just "learn" the other stuff. Palo Alto cert would be cool, but there's no way I can lab it.

Reggle

Exactly why I'm continuing Cisco here.
I would consider others that are worthwhile. VMware or F5 for example. But getting a second vendor's Routing & Switching seems a lot of work for little gain.