Your certification goals for 2015?

Started by SimonV, January 04, 2015, 01:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

JNCIS-SP down. Very easy relative to JNCIA, at least in my eyes.
It really helped that I know all the BGP/OSPF/MPLS theory already from CCIE reading. As usual labbing like crazy helps a lot.

Also the JunOS Genius app is great - at least 100+ sample questions - really helped me ID my weak points

Can't but help feel that Juniper are short changing the value of their certifications by making it too easy i.e. 1 exam, even with 70 questions, is not enough to properly cover the breath of the topic, maybe not CCNP-V crazy 5 exams but at least 2 - e.g. IGP/HA/bridging as exam 1, MPLS/BGP as exam 2.

Network2501

I've heard the JNCIP-SP is pretty challenging but then again the guy wasn't studying for his CCIE.
- Pete

Dekoo

I would like to pass the CCNP R&S (already ordered the books) and MCSA but I am afraid that it will not help me improve my skills by a lot due to not having any "real world" experience with Cisco environment :( (God bless GNS3 and CPT..)

:(

SimonV

wintermute000

Quote from: Network2501 on January 29, 2015, 01:01:54 AM
I've heard the JNCIP-SP is pretty challenging but then again the guy wasn't studying for his CCIE.

Thanks, but TBH any CCIP/CCNP-SP would say the same thing, its more that I'd already covered MPLS material as part of CCIE prep/general interest.
In fact JNCIS-SP goes far more into MPLS and MPLS-VPN technologies than CCIE does, though there are no labs lol

One thing to note is that the JNCIS-SP material for MPLS is the same as the JNCIP material - they don't give you any guidance as to where the cutoff is, so I basically over-prepared on MPLS (judging from the exam questions anyway!). If you google it, the suggested training for the MPLS topic is the same course (JMV) rofl

https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=3799

I am itching to crack on to the JNCIP immediately but I have resolved to take the CCIE seriously (finally) so the only thing I am allowing myself to do is DCUFI, purely because I've actively requested it for training from my company, so if I do the training then obviously do the exam.

config t

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 29, 2015, 05:26:07 PM

I am itching to crack on to the JNCIP immediately but I have resolved to take the CCIE seriously (finally) so the only thing I am allowing myself to do is DCUFI, purely because I've actively requested it for training from my company, so if I do the training then obviously do the exam.

It's only January 30th and you are already snappin' necks and cashin' checks!
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

icecream-guy

Quote from: config t on January 29, 2015, 06:28:19 PM
Quote from: wintermute000 on January 29, 2015, 05:26:07 PM

It's only January 30th and you are already snappin' necks and cashin' checks!

and here I've done absolutely nothing to achieve my 2015 certification goals  :-[
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

wintermute000

protip: when someone is going hard @ certs, it means they are bored out of their minds @ work :-\

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 30, 2015, 10:09:12 PM
protip: when someone is going hard @ certs, it means they are bored out of their minds @ work :-\
True dat. I'm up to my asbestos in projects with really cool stuff. I'll get a basic ForeScout cert after I finish the vendor course. I'd like to go for their top-level cert one day, after I've done more work with the product... and if I still like it. But for now, I am looking at basic certs from vendors and keeping my CCNP active - after taking the Cisco course for the test I'm going to take.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

After I finish a Brocade course this week I need to schedule my second attempt at TSHOOT. I failed that sucker by 10 points. It figures, because I flew through the test in 20 minutes. I was over-confident. But I know what I did wrong, so I will lick my wounds and take my time on the next attempt. From what I hear the 300 series TSHOOT is almost exactly the same as the 642 series, with the exception of a couple more IPv6 tickets thrown in the mix.

SimonV

Passed the JNCIA this morning with 81%. Had been labbing all weekend on my SRX's so I was pretty confident about all the topics covered in the Self Study guide.
Those PDF's didn't cover the Networking Fundamentals though, so I lost some points on questions about different standards and their technical specifications. Also a couple of gotchas related to firewall filters and routing policies.

:zomgwtfbbq:

Anyway, a pass is a pass and I learned some neat routing-instance stuff over the last weeks. Replaced my Cisco 1841 ZBFW with an SRX and must say I'm very impressed with JunOS so far. Now I'll need a week to catch up on paperwork and then I'll start hitting the JNCIS-SEC study guides.

wintermute000

config t

Hmm.. speaking of certification goals for 2015..

<------------- POW! CCNP

Quote from: SimonV on February 16, 2015, 12:43:18 PM
Passed the JNCIA this morning with 81%.

Congrats Simon!!