Your certification goals for 2015?

Started by SimonV, January 04, 2015, 01:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srg

Quote from: that1guy15 on August 11, 2015, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: srg on August 11, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Did ARCH to get my CCDP today :beer:

WOOT! Congrats dude. That was one of the funnest test to study for.
Yeah it was fun, quite different way of thinking than the more techy certs.. although, today, it's quite outdated in the DC sections. I won't be surprised if it's updated soon.
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: srg on August 11, 2015, 10:02:18 AM
Quote from: that1guy15 on August 11, 2015, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: srg on August 11, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Did ARCH to get my CCDP today :beer:

WOOT! Congrats dude. That was one of the funnest test to study for.
Yeah it was fun, quite different way of thinking than the more techy certs.. although, today, it's quite outdated in the DC sections. I won't be surprised if it's updated soon.

Yeah I think Cisco is in a lot of flux in that area, and outside of that I think the DC has evolved quite a bit in a very short time... lots of bleeding edge stuff I'd imagine is hard to cover in any manner that could be deemed "best practice".  Congrats on the pass!
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

icecream-guy

I've still done nothing to achieve my 2015 certification goals. Feel like I'm getting too old to retain such information for taking a test. on the flip side, I worked way too hard for years to get my CCNP to just let it expire.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: ristau5741 on August 12, 2015, 07:45:58 AM
I've still done nothing to achieve my 2015 certification goals. Feel like I'm getting too old to retain such information for taking a test. on the flip side, I worked way too hard for years to get my CCNP to just let it expire.

This is me as well.. I'm up for renewal in December... my original plan was to get the CCIE R&S, with the written just to recert.. but I'm really torn because a lot of it doesn't apply to what I do, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to go through the stuff anyway to brush up and hone things I do work with, and just for the deeper knowledge - but man that's a lot of work for a little gain. EDIT - Meanwhile I have to get stronger on other things that I do do for my job that has nothing to do with R&S.... it's frustrating to a person with ADD. ;P

Wanna hear something cool?  A Korean SE at Arista just became a 7x CCIE ... lol. EDIT - At least I think it was 7x.... pretty sure.

wintermute000

Labbing away with as much motivation as I can muster after new job + baby. Its a grind for sure.

I've learnt to eliminate all the fun things in life (movies, video games, drinking, etc.) but my brain has instead decided to procrastinate productively by doing minor certs instead! Spent at least 2 months knocking out my VCPs etc. - building nested NSX environments can be pretty addictive in a way lol.

But lately been putting in at least 8-10hrs a week on labbing, wanting to ramp that up so I can have a crack early november.

Finished a full scale (30 router) Cisco360 config lab @ around 85% in 7 hours so getting very close on the config side. But I've barely done any TS labbing. That1guy is right - its not actually that 'hard' per se, its just a LOT of stuff you have to get right and fast, the first time, no mistakes. IIRC in that particular lab I had to build out: 2x EIGRP areas, 2x OSPF areas, 2x ISP areas wthin the OSPF areas - overlay with DMVPN, dual stack on one DMVPN, multicast on the other, tie all 4 areas together with a MPLS-VPN and appropriate redists. I only missed a handful of the tasks due to obscure 'i don't happen to remember this nerd knob' circumstances, the difficulty was digesting and executing the tasks with speed and accuracy (basically lost that hour due to retyping / approaching the tasks the 'wrong' way intially and having to do rework).
I'm also doing all these labs on one monitor with putty via the Cisco360 interface, notepad instead of notepad++ etc. i.e. brutalising myself just like the real thing, complete with laggy terminal sessions due to remote lab lol

that1guy15

Sounds like you are on track! Ramp up the labbing and grind it out.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

config t

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 12, 2015, 12:27:45 PM
Wanna hear something cool?  A Korean SE at Arista just became a 7x CCIE ... lol. EDIT - At least I think it was 7x.... pretty sure.

And here I am struggling to finish CISSP and CCNP Sec before the end of the year.. I feel like a noob.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: config t on August 19, 2015, 03:38:58 AM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on August 12, 2015, 12:27:45 PM

And here I am struggling to finish CISSP and CCNP Sec before the end of the year.. I feel like a noob.

Lol right?  I feel like a jerk sitting here procrastinating just doing a single CCIE written to re-cert my NP... lol.

SimonV

CCNA security just got an overhaul, and they ditched the CCP. One of the CCP sims killed me at the previous try, so considering another go at it on the CLI   :matrix:

https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/ccna_security_delta.pdf

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

Quote from: SimonV on September 10, 2015, 05:59:38 AM
CCNA security just got an overhaul, and they ditched the CCP. One of the CCP sims killed me at the previous try, so considering another go at it on the CLI   :matrix:

https://learningcontent.cisco.com/cln_storage/text/cln/marketing/ccna_security_delta.pdf

One of my colleagues has failed CCNA Sec twice now because of that sim. Does anyone even use that software?

SimonV

Quote from: config t on September 11, 2015, 02:09:42 AM
One of my colleagues has failed CCNA Sec twice now because of that sim. Does anyone even use that software?

No, only people that are studying for CCNA Security :) The previous iteration had something similar with SDM I believe, which was at least as crappy.

config t

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on September 10, 2015, 05:59:38 AM

you totally bonked out on mentioning the new CCNA Cloud certification.  ( 2 exams, yech!)

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2982439/cloud-computing/the-cisco-ccna-gets-cloudy.html
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna_cloud/index.html
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

wintermute000

Lab booked mid november.... now to push through the final cram phase. Its a struggle, I must admit.