Started by SimonV, January 04, 2015, 01:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlots

A pile of stupid ones like the A+ for my degree
/wrists

SimonV

Quote from: wintermute000 on January 08, 2015, 03:10:47 PM
Jncia down.

Exam review? I passed the pre-assessment last week so think of booking the actual exam in a week or 2/3...

Quote from: dlots on January 08, 2015, 03:13:55 PM
A pile of stupid ones like the A+ for my degree
/wrists

Not worth the money, hope you're not paying yourself!

wintermute000

From my POV questions were harder than the CCNA except the pass mark is 65%. But not neccessarily 'better'. I'll elaborate

Less basic networking (subnetting, binary, basic ethernet theory etc.) but a LOT of JunOS/platform specifics (syntax, platform behaviour, etc. - see above) and a few of the usual BS ones like in model XYZ what is the name of the internal bridge to component XYZ, is it GigabitConnect1, InternalConnectA etc.

Done and dusted in 20 minutes and I would expect any CCNP to do the same as long as they get some quality time on the CLI and read the fast track guides more than once / do the practice questions on JunOS genius (the smartphone app).

Labbing actual networking stuff is not as important ROFL - I got plenty of hands on time in my virtual lab but 90% of it was 'wasted' lol e.g. knowing how to setup OSPF multi-area and read the database is less valuable than knowing what directory a dump file goes in if you issue XYZ command. Though doing the labbing naturally reinforced the familiarity with the CLI and config. Importantly you have to be comfortable in reading the XML-ish config which after a lifetime of IOS is not necessarily intuitive at first, esp as you are often asked the appropriate 'set' commands to match the XML format existing config, and the questions are designed to see if you know what level of the hierarchy you're at, etc.

My recommendation: go heavy on platform behaviour and syntax, memorise the exact syntax and implications of policy syntax. The one question I had zero clue on was in reference to the implicit platform behaviour if the syntax follows XYZ format.

I'd almost go so far to say that it would be a decent exam to gauge if a Cisco guy can do his stuff on the JunOS platform, but as a CCNA equivalent, hah, there's nowhere enough 'real' networking in there.

Network2501

- Pete

1KrazyFool

Working on CCIE R&S. Hope to make an attempt around October or so. I'll also need to re-up my written, I passed the v4 written over 18 months ago.

Otanx

Last year I renewed my CCNP, got my CEH, finished my degree, and took the SANS SEC502 course (didn't do the cert). This year I am looking at CCNA:S, something from Juniper, Bluecoat class, but probably not certifying, and maybe VCP if the local community college actually offers official classes that work for my schedule. Also will start studying for the CCIE, but I don't plan on an attempt till 2016.

-Otanx

sgtcasey

I just renewed my CCNP R&S back in August and do not plan to work on any other certifications.  Time to relax and not worry about studying for something until 2017!
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

icecream-guy

Quote from: sgtcasey on January 14, 2015, 06:29:38 PM
I just renewed my CCNP R&S back in August and do not plan to work on any other certifications.  Time to relax and not worry about studying for something until 2017!

I know what you mean, after working through CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, and half the CCNP Security track over the past 7 years, I find myself under motivated to do any study. though I have been trying to pass a test per year....
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Fred

Renewed my CCNP/CCDP in October. No real goals at this point. I'm in "raising my kids" mode. With a 1-year-old and a 5-year-old, most of my evenings are booked.

Currently evaluating my career goals. I feel like the CCIE is not out of reach for me in the next 5 years, but I don't know if that's the route I want to take. Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

burnyd

Wed I am going for the VCIX-NV.  I plan on defending the VCDX-NV some time this year.  Other than that maybe finish up my vcap?  Im not sure this will be a more of learning how to automate all the things for work type of year.  Who knows.

Ether

CCNA, CCNA /S, MCSA Server 2012 are on my radar. I'm at the "beginning" of my networking career, I feel these certs will keep me marketable for most jobs. Two of them are required for my degree plan as well.

config t

CCNP R&S.

I've been super motivated and knocked out the ROUTE two weeks ago.. and SWITCH I passed today. I'm aiming to take TSHOOT next Wednesday before the January 29 deadline for the 642 series.

After this I'm going to get the CompTIA CASP. Not for any professional development reason, but because of 8570 IAT requirements set forth by the DoD. It's easier than CISSP and it meets the same standard :banana:

For me it comes down to making myself more attractive for my next career move. I've been doing Tier I/II network support for around 5 years now.. it's time to move it on up. Once I get what I need I will interview for a WAN Engineer position in my company again.. show them that I had the drive to get certified and get smarter even after being turned down a few months ago.

You've gotta want it!

:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

5 years? Yeah, it's time for you to make your move.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

A lot of that experience was when I was working as a service desk/network tech and doing things like ADUC and infrastructure work like pulling cable and installing network drops. I kinda did everything.. analog telephony, CCTV, desktop support.. etc

The last couple years have been the time I made the jump to a purely network role. I still feel like I'm pretty new to the game so I'm not putting too much pressure on myself. The job I have now is a little bit of heaven.. I'm neck deep in switching and get to play with 3700, 4500, and 6500 series switches. The last six months alone I've learned A LOT. I legitimately get excited when we have maintenance windows or unscheduled outages because I get to troubleshoot.

I think I'm hooked.. I can't wait to get a routing/firewall job.

config t

Quote from: jofas88 on January 20, 2015, 07:42:37 AM
CCNA, CCNA /S, MCSA Server 2012 are on my radar. I'm at the "beginning" of my networking career, I feel these certs will keep me marketable for most jobs. Two of them are required for my degree plan as well.

CCNA is an awesome cert to get you in the door. It's all-around well respected from what I've seen so far.