What training for VOIP people coming into data?

Started by dlots, April 13, 2017, 12:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlots

We have a bunch of voice people moving over to also do network stuff.  I am trying to make some training for them.  They had a CCNA class a few weeks ago and I am not really sure what all to give them info on.

I am going to go over the | i/e/s part so they can get info out of the router/switches abit better.

I am also and doing the "Hold alt so you can select only what you want" thing, and how to do a find/replace with regular expressions

find
     \n
and replace it with
     shut\n des test \n switchport access vlan 10\n no shut \n
kinda thing.

Find your switch/port with wireshark and CDP.

Track a device though ARP, mac address-table, and CDP.

Basic Solarwinds.

Add device to ACS.

Can ya'll think of anything else you would want to know coming from voip getting into data?

wintermute000

CCENT or bust

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

deanwebb

"Welcome to the world outside the AF4 queue!"

But what wintermute said. CCENT or bust!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

mlan

Quote from: wintermute000 on April 13, 2017, 06:17:43 PM
CCENT or bust

Agreed.

I also like the topics you listed @dlots.  I have been trying to get my voice guys very comfortable in layer-2 switching as a starting point.

deanwebb

Honestly, anyone that has anything to do with the network needs to be comfortable with layer 2 switching, and really should also be ready to look at layer 3 stuff on the LAN, if not also on the WAN.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.