Main Menu

Building LAN

Started by yuffei, May 08, 2017, 10:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yuffei

So there is 20 PC's in each room with 11 rooms that needs to connect to main switch/router, Would connecting each switch together to main switch/router with the pc connected, be the best way?
So like this http://i.imgur.com/ohcdx2j.png and on cisco, it represented like this http://i.imgur.com/ftJT8g3.png thanks!

deanwebb

I love the first drawing. MSPaint > Visio!

So what you have in your first drawing is a basic access switch / distribution switch setup. The distribution switch handles all the VLANs and routing between the access switches. A core switch would handle routing between different distribution switches but in a small office like this, a core switch is not really needed.

This looks good!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

yuffei

thanks for the reply! I've been reading around that additional routers are needed if ip address are different? My LAN operates on class A 10.107.120.0 with gateway 140.159.122.190 so no additional routers are needed and would work? and to my understanding, additonal routers are only needed for different/another ip addresses to connect? http://i.imgur.com/BvldfqU.png so like to another building or different ip address to connect each other

-All labs on a separate IP sub-network
-All office computers are on a single IP sub-network
What would that mean? sorry about all the questions :P just started networks!

thanks!

deanwebb

If we assume that each room has its own subnet, we only need routing (also called L3 for short) on the distribution switch, which could also support the WAN link. The trick is in the routing statements.

On the L3 device in your building, it will have directly connected subnets for each room (or if you have them all in one subnet, route for that) and then specify either specific routes to other networks via the WAN interface or just use a default route to point at the WAN interface, job done.

If there is a local internet breakout, then specific routes for other networks would be defined to use the interface for the WAN and then a default route would point to the Internet interface or (better security) to a proxy server which would then only permit authenticated users to access the Internet.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: yuffei on May 10, 2017, 02:36:29 AM
My LAN operates on class A 10.107.120.0 with gateway 140.159.122.190

This does not compute
:professorcat:

Your gateway needs to be on the same network as your LAN.
What class network is the 10.107.120.0 network?  Yes, class A. what is the classful subnet mask for this network
What class network is the 140.159.122.190 on ? what class network is this IP on?  What is the classful subnet mask for this network?
can these two networks communicate?  why or why not.

Best is probably to start with an IP address scheme.
for 20 hosts in each lab,  how many IP's are needed for each subnet?
with 11 rooms + office space, how many subnets are needed?
work out the IP address scheme from there.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.