Help witn wifi bridge setup

Started by ROTOR, May 24, 2017, 07:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROTOR

First of all thanks for the great work yo do.

I'm moving to a new house, it's not my house its one that I rent.

I need to create and isolate from the rest of the house a new network, the main for wife and kids stuff and the other one to my Office. I can't use Ethernet, to join the routers o use plc (electric installation it's not good).

Let me show you I think that will work for me.

Connect a "router 2" has a client of main router. And the isolate "network 2" of the rest of the home network, all equipment needs to be accessible between themselves and Internet but invisible of the main network.

Questions:

- What is the best way to do it?

- Did you recomment one router for this?

- Exists any router with two independent wifi card one for connect and another for serve wifi? I not sure that is necessary or will improve quality.

Probably friend could give me a "ASUS RT-AC66U" and I flash it with DD-wrt

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.[/quote]

icecream-guy

The best way to do this is use  managed L3 switch (like an old Cisco 3550), and create a vlan for each AP,  one on 192.168.1.0/24 and other on 192.168.2.0/24. apply ACL's to the VLAN SVI for access controls.  if you cant get wire to the roof, a wireless extender may do the trick for upstairs.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

ROTOR

Quote from: ristau5741 on May 24, 2017, 10:50:30 AM
The best way to do this is use  managed L3 switch (like an old Cisco 3550), and create a vlan for each AP,  one on 192.168.1.0/24 and other on 192.168.2.0/24. apply ACL's to the VLAN SVI for access controls.  if you cant get wire to the roof, a wireless extender may do the trick for upstairs.

First thanks!

I not sure how to do it easy.

I'm reading a lot from some router pages, and I suppose that it's my solution is something called "masqueradde NAT" I read in the Open wrt wiki:

But I 'm not sure hot to implement it with a normal Amazon :D commercial router.

now I read you And I think it  is not than easy that I though.

icecream-guy

Quote from: ROTOR on May 24, 2017, 11:12:45 AM
Quote from: ristau5741 on May 24, 2017, 10:50:30 AM

First thanks!

I not sure how to do it easy.

I'm reading a lot from some router pages, and I suppose that it's my solution is something called "masqueradde NAT" I read in the Open wrt wiki:

But I 'm not sure hot to implement it with a normal Amazon :D commercial router.

now I read you And I think it  is not than easy that I though.

this is not separation. it is obfuscation

obfuscate
[ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt]
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object), obfuscated, obfuscating.
1. to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
2.to make obscure or unclear:
     to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
3. to darken.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Get a Wifi network extender and have it offer a different SSID (Wireless network).

At the end of the day, all your traffic uses the same Internet connection, no matter how it is separated out at home.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

I did start writing a post about how to do this simply but it got way too long.

Basically you could do this with two regular home broadband routers and if the wifi signal from them was a bit on the weak side then you could use a dumb wifi repeater (blueghh) to extend the signal a bit (and at the same time, dropping your throughput and increasing dropped packets bluegh).
The issue with this is that one network would have access to the other unless you configure it not to. The other issue is that one network might have trouble connecting to some things on the internet, unless you do some extra config. But it's not terribly difficult.

I've done a few set ups just like this. Back then I used multiple Cisco 1131's and configured one radio to be the link between other AP's. Big houses in the countryside with slow ADSL internet so the poor wifi throughput wasn't really noticed.

I do have a Cisco Linksys in my office that I use to run our backup ADSL. It can do 4 SSID's (wifi networks) and one can be a guest / secure internet only network. I also notice that a LOT of standard ISP home routers allow you to set up a guest network now, too. If you don't want connectivity between the two wifi networks then you can use the guest one for your office for example. You can still set WPA security on both of them. Thomson Speedtouch / Tehcnicolor do this. You usually know you have one if you can access the router on http://10.0.0.138  :mrgreen:

Dieselboy

Hey OP have you heard of this: https://madeby.google.com/wifi/how-it-works/

I saw it mentioned on a youtube channel and the guy was very pleased with it. I had never seen it since then but might be useful for what you want to do!

Guys how does the mesh AP's link up? I'm guessing they must use either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz radios to mesh together?