Steam Sales vs. Study / Lab / Research

Started by deanwebb, June 14, 2017, 03:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

As I look for more stuff to read up on, I see a distraction in my inbox...

"An item on your Steam wishlist is on sale..."

And this isn't just any old item, it's a massive time sink of a game... for half price... :twitch:

But... I need to do more... technical... reading... right?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

DuneTroop

Well it is getting close to that Steam Summer Sale time.

Say goodbye to your wallet...

deanwebb

Quote from: DuneTroop on June 14, 2017, 04:18:41 PM
Well it is getting close to that Steam Summer Sale time.

Say goodbye to your wallet...

That, and my free time devoted to productive measures...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

mlan

Work/life balance, "all things in moderation", all work no play, work hard/play hard, etc.

wintermute000

I severely ration my video gaming. Its the only way I maintain study/certs and family. The only gaming I've done this year (not counting mobile time wasters) is Prey, which BTW is absolutely insanely good (if you liked system shock, bioshock or dishonored, it will be like catnip).

Add video games to the mix and I would not get any study or extra work done.

that1guy15

Quote from: wintermute000 on June 15, 2017, 02:08:05 AM
I severely ration my video gaming. Its the only way I maintain study/certs and family. The only gaming I've done this year (not counting mobile time wasters) is Prey, which BTW is absolutely insanely good (if you liked system shock, bioshock or dishonored, it will be like catnip).

V..i..d..e..o games??? Whats those?
I have not touched a true video game since my first daughter was born 7 years ago. Only have time for a little Clash of Clans.

True story. My last video game to play was BioShock. I got about about 3/4th way through it before my daughter was born.  Never finished, have no clue how it ends. Some day, some day...
The other one that makes me mad is I got about 10 hours into Assasins Creed and loved it and see its built up a whole series. ugh.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

EOS

Dean!!  Fall/winter/spring are for studying!!

Summer time = have some fun   :banana:

wintermute000

Quote from: that1guy15 on June 15, 2017, 08:04:27 AM
Quote from: wintermute000 on June 15, 2017, 02:08:05 AM

V..i..d..e..o games??? Whats those?
I have not touched a true video game since my first daughter was born 7 years ago. Only have time for a little Clash of Clans.

True story. My last video game to play was BioShock. I got about about 3/4th way through it before my daughter was born.  Never finished, have no clue how it ends. Some day, some day...
The other one that makes me mad is I got about 10 hours into Assasins Creed and loved it and see its built up a whole series. ugh.
Yeah I hear you. I've only played 3 or 4 video games in the last 12 months, even less the couple of years before, including am entire year off when i was grinding out certifications. Lately I just said eff it I'll do what I want cartman style (after nine when kids asleep , naturally)

Used to love it, now just no time. Maybe watch a movie a month. No non children's TV except at the gym pretty much. Kids and work and study.... Stupid SDN and recertifying LOL

I'll tell you what though I'll keep building high end desktops until I can't lift my fingers. At this current rate my GPU has basically cost me a hundred bucks per game in hardware costs alone LOL. Eyeing off the new i9s , apparently the new AMD s don't play nice with desktop virtualization

deanwebb

I'm so glad my kids are grown, makes it much easier to watch grownup tv at home. :D

icecream-guy

I'm so behind on 'The Expanse' scifi series,
still want to make another run through of the last season of 'Person of Interest'
have about 50 R rated concerts to watch.
not to mention all the alien shows, adult sitcoms, adult cartoons,
sheese kids...
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

that1guy15

Ha! I feel you guys! With two girls (7 and 5) and a 2 yo son. The fight for the TV is either Mickey Mouse or My little pony.

But when they go to bed its Game of Thrones!

Im sure one day one of them will walk out and see something that will damage them for life! But do they take into consideration the damage watching the same 3 episodes of Mickey Mouse over and over and over, does to me!!?? NOPE!
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

deanwebb

Meanwhile, back at my house, we're all watching Seinfeld on DVD and bonding... and discovering my daughter agrees with George Costanza waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often...

NetworkGroover

My video gaming has went down but has been replaced with DJing..

I'm woefully behind on any cert studying.. last I did was the ACE-A and haven't touched a cert book since... I don't necessarily miss that life either xD - it's so freaking hard trying to maintain sanity with family stuff and studying.. there's no time and I hate life in that mode - no offense to those who do and kudos to those who have the willpower/stamina to do it. It definitely caters more (on the average - I know it's not always the case) to the single folks or those with no children.  If you're in that situation and you think it's hard to find the time/willpower now - just do it!  It'll be WAY harder after kids - unless you have an extremely forgiving/supporting family who's ok with you living in your office at night - mine is not the case, nor would I want to do that anyway.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

My family pretty much went on vacation for a month as I finished off my CCNP-Security...

Now I'm thinking of doing a presentation on how the Bollywood classic Mughal-e-Azam is actually about a NAC project. For those familiar with only one or the other, let me start the comparison by saying both are major, MAJOR productions...