Intent Based Networking Explained

Started by that1guy15, June 27, 2017, 01:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Quote from: ggnfs000 on June 13, 2018, 05:53:49 PM
intent based networking = apple, mercedes (high permance, if it breaks you have to get another one)
traditional networking = android, ford bronco (high maintenance, always breaks down, if it breaks change parts)

I'll disagree with this. Intent based networking is an overlay on top of the traditional networking. You still have to have VLANs, routes, VRF, and all that cool stuff defined. The intent-based stuff is software automation of certain tasks that goes through a NAC system, a NGFW, or both. This is why ForeScout works with PAN and Checkpoint on being able to send user information to those firewalls for them to use when determining access to assets. Won't see that in an ISE solution. :smug:

DISCLAIMER: Yes, yes, I know, I work for ForeScout...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.