It's a Network Thing... They Don't Understand...

Started by deanwebb, January 04, 2015, 07:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynK

winter & Atrum,

you both are correct. The problem is, they could not clearly define what it is they needed... Once this was accomplished we were able to get them the technologies they needed.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

config t

"Hey I know your busy but our day shift unplugged everything and now we can't get our VTC to work. We have a call in half an hour.."

:developers:
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Ether

I personally feel there are good and bad dudes/ettes in all departments. I just hate IT phonies, just bodies that are taking up a full time position that need their hand held to do anything above basic.

mynd

Quote from: jofas88 on January 21, 2015, 09:12:30 AM
I personally feel there are good and bad dudes/ettes in all departments. I just hate IT phonies, just bodies that are taking up a full time position that need their hand held to do anything above basic.
quoted for truth

dlots

Things I talk about on a regular basis.
(biggest) I can't get these 2 devices to talk to one another.  No I don't know the IP address or ports that are in use.
1.) ICMP type 3 code 3 means the traffic is making it to your server and the server is saying "WTF"
2.) You can't just plug a machine with a static IP address in anywhere and have it work.
3.) No we can't get rid of security because it makes developing more difficult
4.) Of course the firewall is killing your program, you never told me you added that new UDP port.
5.) Your staying on the same vlan, the traffic never even leaves the switch, it's not the firewall that's 4 hops away.
6.) It's your application, I don't know how it works, stop asking me about it.
7.) I appreciate your explanation on how the network works, it was very funny.
8.) No I am not the smartest person in existence, I just know how my stuff works.

Almost forgot the most important.
9.) That IP address isn't in the arp table after I pinged 255.255.255.255, are you sure it's plugged in? Oh it is? You say it now it magically works, I am sooo glad it fixed it's self.

config t

Quote from: dlots on January 21, 2015, 12:14:57 PM
Things I talk about on a regular basis.
(biggest) I can't get these 2 devices to talk to one another.  No I don't know the IP address or ports that are in use.
1.) ICMP type 3 code 3 means the traffic is making it to your server and the server is saying "WTF"
2.) You can't just plug a machine with a static IP address in anywhere and have it work.
3.) No we can't get rid of security because it makes developing more difficult
4.) Of course the firewall is killing your program, you never told me you added that new UDP port.
5.) Your staying on the same vlan, the traffic never even leaves the switch, it's not the firewall that's 4 hops away.
6.) It's your application, I don't know how it works, stop asking me about it.
7.) I appreciate your explanation on how the network works, it was very funny.
8.) No I am not the smartest person in existence, I just know how my stuff works.

Almost forgot the most important.
9.) That IP address isn't in the arp table after I pinged 255.255.255.255, are you sure it's plugged in? Oh it is? You say it now it magically works, I am sooo glad it fixed it's self.

:rofl:

I get this one occasionally..

Your device that talks to a server outside of the network was working fine last week? That's funny, because it's not on the domain and it's not in the DHCP allow list. Yes, you have to submit a firewall modification form. No, I don't know the source IP's of this server or what ports it uses.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Nerm

I get called out this morning to a small client location. I am told it is an emergency and that I must address it personally. The client's onsite tech tells me that their router (Cisco 891) isn't working. Now my first question to any problem is was anything changed in the environment that might have caused the problem. The tech's response was no nothing has changed "we were going along fine and then it just stopped". So my next step since this site had their own tech I asked what they had already done to diagnose the problem. His response was they rebooted everything and that didn't take care of it so he tried to access the router and couldn't and that was when they knew something was wrong with the router.

So I get out my laptop and console into the router (with no problem btw when the onsite guy said the device couldn't be accessed). First thing I noticed is this device looks like it has been defaulted (WTF???). I do a show start and what do ya know the proper config is there but the running config is blank, so I investigate a little further and find that the config register is set to 0x2142 (I know some of you are probably laughing already) as well as the wan port in the start config is set to shutdown. I resolve the issue and get everything back up and running. I then proceed to ask the onsite tech who last touched this device and explained the changes and the situation. He goes "Oh we did have a tech here earlier from the ISP to make a change to our IP Phone system we rent from them. Come to think of it the problem started after he left".

Waiting to hear back from someone at the ISP about who this "tech" was and what exactly he was doing or supposed to be doing.

deanwebb

That is hilarious.

You know you're a networking fiend when "config register is set to 0x2142" is a punchline.  :rofl:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

LynK

I love it when I get the occasional, "I have forgotten more than you know". Or the, "I have over 20 years of experience in IT".  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Here is a good instance of what I get.

Hey, we are not able to get to the new web server we published.
I ask, "where did you get the IP from"
"Oh, I just took one...."
I ask "whats the problem"
"oh the web server cannot get to the internet, to the sql server, and cannot be reached internally...."
I say "well now that I know, here you go"

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

that1guy15

Quote from: LynK on March 03, 2015, 09:59:39 AM
I love it when I get the occasional, "I have forgotten more than you know". Or the, "I have over 20 years of experience in IT".  :angry: :angry: :angry:

My experience has taught me that any time you run into anyone with more experience than you, just step back and list. Take the passive approach and just listen to what they have to say. Some times they talk garbage but more often than not there is something you can learn. Also good inquisitive questions help fuel the discussion.

These guys/gals have been in the trenches for a long time and have some valuable knowledge to share as long as you will listen.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

LynK

These guys/gals have been in the trenches for a long time and have some valuable knowledge to share as long as you will listen.

I listen, but after you hearing so many inconsistencies... you tend to tune them out. I do respect those who have been in the industry and know their stuff. Not those who get in a comfortable spot, and do just enough so they wont get fired.

deanwebb

There are guys that have been in the trenches... and then there are guys that fell into the trenches and haven't found a way to climb out of them.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on March 09, 2015, 09:35:19 AM
There are guys that have been in the trenches... and then there are guys that fell into the trenches and haven't found a way to climb out of them.

Yeah - some folks understand that you're never "done" learning.

Some don't, and think things still work the way they did 5-10 years ago.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Nerm

Ummmm....I just finished explaining how Ethernet works to a coworker that is a "senior" tech with supposedly 20+ years experience.  :wall: