Seriously? That Was on Your Resume?

Started by deanwebb, February 12, 2015, 08:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

:zomgwtfbbq:

I'll open with Novell 3.x. Yes, it was on a resume I saw just recently... listed right up there with all the relevant skills...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

Maybe they are looking for a legacy job...

Dieselboy

It's like when people list their Cisco certs like this:

CCNP R&S
CCNA R&S

deanwebb

I always get a kick out of people that have been in IT for over five years that never got around to deleting "Microsoft Office: Including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Access".

Dude, you're a mid-level networking guy... all we care about is whether or not you know Visio.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

hizzo3

Quote from: deanwebb on February 13, 2015, 08:52:43 AM
I always get a kick out of people that have been in IT for over five years that never got around to deleting "Microsoft Office: Including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Access".

Dude, you're a mid-level networking guy... all we care about is whether or not you know Visio.
I dunno. I've run into a few that couldn't make a simple spreadsheet or a professional looking PowerPoint. Then again these were developers.

icecream-guy

I think those are in my keywords section for those electronic submissions.  Visio at the minimum.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

LynK

Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb

It's the ring that inspired JRR Tolkien to write his LotR trilogy.

Reggle

Quote from: Dieselboy on February 12, 2015, 09:36:24 PM

CCNP R&S
CCNA R&S
I used to do that too and I can explain: getting through the HR-wall. If someone tells HR "get someone with at least CCNA" then HR often will look for that exact keyword. Listing just CCNP doesn't get their attention.

deanwebb

True on listing CCNP and CCNA.

NOT true on listing a Windows 95 MCP.

Otanx

Someone should tell him he does not have a Novell certification for 3.x any more. Novell expired all of them several years ago. I do have a "kitchen sink" resume that has everything, but I edit it to be specific for the job I am applying for.

We ran into a candidate that had a certification I had never heard of. I Googled it, and couldn't find anything except his resume, and a few others that looked suspiciously similar. We asked him about it, and was told a friend of his hands them out to help people get into IT. His friend also helped write his resume.

-Otanx

deanwebb

D-link unmanaged hubs

Really? You managed the unmanaged hubs? Cool story, bro.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on February 17, 2015, 01:31:44 PM
D-link unmanaged hubs

Really? You managed the unmanaged hubs? Cool story, bro.

I can sure set them up.... real quick too...
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

wintermute000

Quote from: Reggle on February 14, 2015, 02:26:02 AM
Quote from: Dieselboy on February 12, 2015, 09:36:24 PM

CCNP R&S
CCNA R&S
I used to do that too and I can explain: getting through the HR-wall. If someone tells HR "get someone with at least CCNA" then HR often will look for that exact keyword. Listing just CCNP doesn't get their attention.

Fair point, but I'd rather think that any org whose hiring doesn't know enough about networking to recognise a CCNP isn't an org I'm interested in.

Well maybe I've lost jobs in the past I'll never know due to not listing my CCNA.... lol