Seriously? That Was on Your Resume?

Started by deanwebb, February 12, 2015, 08:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Saw a DOS 5.0, 6.0, and 6.22 on a 20-pager last year.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

ChestHair

My knowledge of DOS 6.22 directly translated into me being really good at the dir and delete commands in IOS.

<sarcasm>

dlots

I think that expert baffler guy had MS dos, a A+ from 1998, and NT, with a degree from one of those $30 degree places

killabee

I was told the reason people list certs for EOL systems is to showcase that they've been in IT for THAT long.  Thoughts?

deanwebb

Putting down a job from 199X proves the same thing, no need to clutter things up with certs that mean even less than decades-old experience. If only the EOL certs are there and there's nothing new, I'd have to ask if this is a guy that's shot all his bullets, if we're dealing with a burnout... Old certs listed plus new ones, the guy's a cert hound (I confess to being one), and will continue to show that pattern, unless he burns out.

hizzo3

Quote from: deanwebb on February 17, 2015, 01:31:44 PM
D-link unmanaged hubs

Really? You managed the unmanaged hubs? Cool story, bro.
Ask him to configure port security on it. :)

deanwebb

When I see an old-timer roll up and he's got a resume that goes ALL the way back, I do like to reminisce with him when I see stuff like token-ring and OS/2 on the back pages. But if he doesn't wince when I say things like "beaconing" or "browse master elections", I get suspicious. If you're going to claim old gear, you better remember the pain you went through, or you didn't spend more than 5 minutes working with it.

And when I see MS Exchange on the resume, I really start to pick, because I had loads of experience with that product.

deanwebb

Guy is interviewing for a security role...
My Boss: So, I see you have some Palo Alto experience. Can you talk about that?
Applicant: What?
My Boss: It's on your resume, when you were working for Generic Company.
Applicant: I never worked with Palo Alto. I don't even work with firewalls.
My Boss: Well, this is a network security position you're applying for...
Applicant: How did you get my resume? I'm not a security person. (hangs up like a BOSS!)

Wow...

Then there was the R&S guy who put down many, many years of Cisco switching experience...
Me: "OK, so what is BPDU Guard and why is it a good security practice to use?"
Applicant: "What is what?"
Me: "BPDU Guard."
Applicant: "Never heard of it."
Me: :zomgwtfbbq:

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on March 09, 2015, 09:42:02 AM
Guy is interviewing for a security role...
My Boss: So, I see you have some Palo Alto experience. Can you talk about that?
Applicant: What?
My Boss: It's on your resume, when you were working for Generic Company.
Applicant: I never worked with Palo Alto. I don't even work with firewalls.
My Boss: Well, this is a network security position you're applying for...
Applicant: How did you get my resume? I'm not a security person. (hangs up like a BOSS!)

Wow...

Then there was the R&S guy who put down many, many years of Cisco switching experience...
Me: "OK, so what is BPDU Guard and why is it a good security practice to use?"
Applicant: "What is what?"
Me: "BPDU Guard."
Applicant: "Never heard of it."
Me: :zomgwtfbbq:

There are still many, many customers I've run into that don't know about BPDU guard, filter, loop guard, etc.  L2 often seems like some necessary evil for many of them - make it work and then leave it alone... it's funny how they sometimes don't realize just how important STP is unless you're running a true L3 switch fabric.  I used to work at a place where I discovered the enterprise root bridge was an access switch in a random wiring closet.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always