Internet Edge Design Considerations

Started by LynK, July 12, 2017, 07:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 14, 2017, 09:59:48 AM

types that will insist that all business functions are 100% critical, everything is top priority, and that you can buy unicorns in bulk via eBay and Amazon Prime.

Amazon really does have everything

https://www.amazon.com/UNICORN-RUBBER-DUCKIES-DOZEN-BULK/dp/B0076ZWTZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500046904&sr=8-2&keywords=bulk+unicorns
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

NetworkGroover

You should always go active/active if you can.  Treating it as a capacity discussion is the wrong direction imo.  In other words, you shouldn't have active/active be a requirement in order for your network to handle the load on it.  It's purely an HA discussion.

EDIT - I'm now realizing we're really talking about the edge and it may not be as appropriate here... but I stand by my point that any one link should be able to handle the load.  I'm probably being unrealistic.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 14, 2017, 01:45:39 PM
You should always go active/active if you can.  Treating it as a capacity discussion is the wrong direction imo.  In other words, you shouldn't have active/active be a requirement in order for your network to handle the load on it.  It's purely an HA discussion.

EDIT - I'm now realizing we're really talking about the edge and it may not be as appropriate here... but I stand by my point that any one link should be able to handle the load.  I'm probably being unrealistic.

True. Any *one* link should handle the load. But when managers get grabby and decide that they can increase the load so that there is no redundancy, then that backup link is now a second primary link.

Quote from: ristau5741 on July 14, 2017, 10:43:33 AM

types that will insist that all business functions are 100% critical, everything is top priority, and that you can buy unicorns in bulk via eBay and Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/UNICORN-RUBBER-DUCKIES-DOZEN-BULK/dp/B0076ZWTZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500046904&sr=8-2&keywords=bulk+unicorns

Yes, but those are not eligible for Prime shipping, and that's where they get ya!
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 14, 2017, 03:02:46 PM
Quote from: AspiringNetworker on July 14, 2017, 01:45:39 PM

True. Any *one* link should handle the load. But when managers get grabby and decide that they can increase the load so that there is no redundancy, then that backup link is now a second primary link.

Quote from: ristau5741 on July 14, 2017, 10:43:33 AM

Yes, but those are not eligible for Prime shipping, and that's where they get ya!

ever since then, all my amazon internet ads are fulll of unicorns...  LoL :wub:

dlots

Quote from: ristau5741 on July 19, 2017, 08:30:28 AM

ever since then, all my amazon internet ads are fulll of unicorns...  LoL :wub:

Should have seen mine after I went in drag one halloween... it was scary :-(

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on July 19, 2017, 10:26:59 AM
Does that mean you are now a brony?

:disappoint:

no, unicorns, not My Little Pony.
:barf:

It's probably already bad that I know what you are referring to..

dlots

deanwebb

So... back to the need to have a proper backup line capacity... and to make sure the ISP doesn't route through your network...

LynK

Man,

So I go on vacation, and I come back to this. This thread took a HUGE DETOUR. The idea/philosophy behind active/active is load sharing, while also using both links for BPA. Many execs do get greedy, and it can become messy very quickly. I understand. But why would you force traffic out only 1 ISP, is the other has a much better path.

There is only so much you can do for inbound, and that would be AS-PATH prepending. I am just surprised that there is nothing out here, that can make an engineers life simple, while giving you granular control on your internet routing.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

deanwebb

Sorry about the detour, LynK, but I think we got the cart back on the track...

For inbound traffic, there's currently no way to signal a link-balance situation across multiple ISPs. It would be nice if there could be a designated VIP, but we then get into the question of which vendor hosts the VIP and what happens if that vendor goes down... gets messy there, real quick.

We'd need another protocol for this. Say there are two firms that want to send traffic to each other. Both have a desire to link-balance traffic. Firm A could send a message to firm B's routers with information on which paths to balance on, then firm B can respond likewise to firm A. Both firms update their routing tables to balance across those links. Should one or more links go down, routing tables update to prefer the active link. Balance is restored after a link comes back online and a keepalive message verifies the link is up and active, and then the routing tables go back to balancing the links.

icecream-guy

Quote from: LynK on July 24, 2017, 07:41:52 AM
Man,

So I go on vacation, and I come back to this. This thread took a HUGE DETOUR. The idea/philosophy behind active/active is load sharing, while also using both links for BPA. Many execs do get greedy, and it can become messy very quickly. I understand. But why would you force traffic out only 1 ISP, is the other has a much better path.

There is only so much you can do for inbound, and that would be AS-PATH prepending. I am just surprised that there is nothing out here, that can make an engineers life simple, while giving you granular control on your internet routing.

You shouldn't have gone on vacation, you should have stayed around and kept the thread on track yourself. LOL :(