In need of lab practice advice.

Started by isaiahgoveait, July 15, 2017, 09:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaiahgoveait

Hi everyone so I have a couple of job interviews scheduled coming up this week,
however, there is one in particular that I am amazed and very excited about. It is a, 'Field Network Technician' role. I was called upon for an interview for that just to meet up with the CEO and the other 2 colleagues. They are based right at an airport hangar, they have an amazing jet where they fly techs out to deploy networks and or repair them. We got to talking about the needs of the job and was asking if I was up for a stressful constant fun challenge every day. I agreed due to the amazing opportunities I would be involved with.

So he said he would not test me with CLI but he would want to test me and have to install a network in his testing area with small business grade switches and routers through the GUIs.

He said I must know to terminate cables, laying it properly, label it, configure VLANS, configure Routers and Switches. He just wants to know if I have the fundamentals down. I have a general sense of networking however I have not implemented anything with VLANs.

It looks very easy after a couple of YouTube searches. What are some softwares where I can have a simulator or emulator of creating such networks to preactice on before the big testing day?

I feel half way ready and I just want to be sharp installing this network he will want me to build. I don't wanna mess up this opportunity.

Here is the job description:
Field Network Technician Job description:
Responsibilities Include:
● Installing and maintaining computer networks, connections and cabling
● Performing Troubleshooting to system failures and identify bottlenecks to ensure long term
efficiency of network
● Testing and configuring software
● Maintain and repair hardware and peripheral devices
Job brief:
We are looking for a skilled Field Network Technician to undertake tasks of network deployment and
maintenance. You will be responsible for installing the network to optimize its performance.
The ideal candidate will be a competent individual with great passion for technology. An analytical mindset
will be essential for effective troubleshooting and improving the network's function.
The goal is to deploy and sustain a well functioning and reliable network to ensure unobtrusive operation of
business for clients.
Responsibilities:
● Field install well-functioning computer networks, connections and cabling
● Perform troubleshooting to system failures and identify bottlenecks to ensure long term efficiency of
network
● Inspect LAN infrastructure and fix minor or major problems/bugs
● Test and configure software and maintain and repair hardware and peripheral devices
● Evaluate network performance and find ways of improvement
● Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their
own work
● Do regular data backups to protect the organization's information
● Provide technical direction to co-workers on computer and network usage and offer comprehensive
advice and instructions
Requirements:
● Proven experience as network technician or relevant position
● Outstanding diagnostic, problem-solving and analytical skills
● Good communication skills
● Good knowledge of LAN/WAN networks, TCP/IP protocols and network technologies
● Hands-on experience with common software and hardware
● Network + and/or network experience
● CCENT

that1guy15

GNS3 or EVE-NG with Cisco 1000v or Arista vEOS would be a good hands on for CLI and vlans
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

SimonV

Yeah, or even packet tracer for the basics.

deanwebb

Agree with the two above, simulation should be fine. If you need cheap hardware, you can get some 3750s for about $20-$50 each.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.