Routing

Started by stonbri, July 21, 2017, 06:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonbri

I have a Verizon fios g1100 router/modem and it provides my internet for my entire home. I was wondering how can I add just an 1 additional host with an entire different IP Scheme and Subnet to my exting router to gain internet access. My current router is giving me the 192.168.1.x and sub 255.255.255.0 which is fine but I'm trying to add another host and I gave it an IP of 10.10.1.100 and subnet 255.255.0.0 and no gateway. Than I went to the router and try to tinker with no luck. Need guidance from the experts

matgar

I don't know the capabilities of your router.
Can you create different VLAN's and assign them to different ports/SSID?
One basic thing is that you need a default gateway for internet traffic, if you don't have a gateway/default gateway you can only communicate with devices that are local to your L2 domain and* use the same IP subnet. (there are caveats but in general that's the case)

stonbri

Let's say my router has the correct capabilities, how would I do it. Just with what I have. I have just 1 router and 1 additional PC with different IP and different subnet. What would I need to do? Can It work, My goal is to have inside my home my additional PC connect to the internet as well

deanwebb

Hello stonbri, glad you're asking for advice.

What matgar said is correct: with no default gateway, the device will only talk to other devices local to it with the same IP range. So, in your original design, no gateway means no Internet. No amount of tinkering on the router will help the device that does not have a default gateway defined.

If the router has an IP address in the new subnet and that IP address is given to any device in that subnet as a default gateway, things will work.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

matgar

Quote from: stonbri on July 22, 2017, 05:09:07 AM
My goal is to have inside my home my additional PC connect to the internet as well
Just a reality check here, do you actually have a need for the 2nd pc to be on a different subnet?