What WLC is good and cheap?

Started by deanwebb, August 24, 2017, 08:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonV

How cheap do you want it to be?

What if you get a previous-model WLC and a decent AP, then configure it for Flexconnect so it does local switching?

You could to this with your vWLC too, by the way. Which AP are you using?

deanwebb

Don't have an AP yet, just a home router.

And, as I check on wireless cards, even a big bad triple antenna 802.11ac card can get only 450Mb, so now I'm thinking I can go with cheap, so long as it works with my NAC box. I would like it to be Cisco and/or Aruba, since those are the vendors we most commonly work with.

If the WLC can support gigabit ethernet interfaces for other devices (not just 10/100 like a lot of EOL gear is limited to), that would be what I want to go with.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Getting an Aruba 651. Built in access point and 8 gigabit ports. That's good. Only does B/G/N bands. That's reality.

Given that the AC network doesn't make it through my house, it's not that bad of a tradeoff.

And I'm about to have a lot of SSIDs...

:matrix:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Aruba Networks
ArubaOS Version 5.0.3.1 (build 27266 / label #27266)
Built by p4build@cyprus on 2011-03-01 at 17:26:18 PST (gcc version 3.4.3)
Copyright (c) 2002-2011, Aruba Networks, Inc.

<<<<<    Welcome to Aruba Networks - Aruba A651-US-9    >>>>>

:awesome:

It arrived today!

deanwebb

And rooting the Aruba is WAY easier than doing it on a Cisco. I'm having fun!

SimonV

Quote from: deanwebb on September 23, 2017, 06:09:43 PM
And rooting the Aruba is WAY easier than doing it on a Cisco. I'm having fun!

What do you mean by rooting? PW recovery?

deanwebb

Yep. It's basically username "password" and password "forgotit!".

You do NOT want these guys exposing their SSH port to the Internets.