What Switches are good and cheap?

Started by deanwebb, August 24, 2017, 08:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Again, fast not a worry here. I'm looking for a mix of vendors, but also some Cisco stuff. I'd like things that aren't so ancient as to be laughable, but also can make do with things old enough that there's tons of them for cheap, everywhere.

What sorts of makes/models and prices are reasonable?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

The 3550 is a good but very old L3 switch, you can get those for ~$40 on ebay.  Switch between L2 and L3 with IOS

The 3750 is also L3 and much newer, looks like you can get them for ~$70 on ebay. I think you can make it L3 with just the IOS, and not a licence but not 100% sure.  Assuming the L3 is just an IOS these would be my choice.  These will also stack if you need that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3750-24PS-S-24-Port-POE-Layer-3-Switch-3750-24PS-E-ipservices-ios-3750-/252593838175?epid=74059424&hash=item3acfc4185f:g:xdQAAOSwh2xYB6wn

SimonV

- Cisco 3560, 3750, 3750G, 2960, 2960S (also check the compact variants if it's for home use)
- Juniper EX2200, EX3300

wintermute000

Look for inter-op purposes you will definitely need a Cisco in there. And due the vagaries of ASCIs and different code-base dot1x behaviour.... you see where this is going.....

purely as a switch is a switch is a switch, on cost vs features I'd definitely go for a HP. Our smaller clients love them - half the cost of Cisco, and TCO is well under with the lifetime warranty (no Smartnet / Cisco ONE extortion)

deanwebb

HP does look fun to pick up on. Any recommendation on one that's dot1x ready?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

wintermute000

Just make sure it's one of the newer ones running Aruba OS rebadged that's all the new campus stuff

deanwebb

deanwebb

First switch will be 3750e. Should arrive early next week.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on September 19, 2017, 10:09:01 AM

you mush have chosen good and cheap.  therefore you do not get fast.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

True. But I have to be able to test L3 stuff and 802.1X. I got gigabit ethernet ports on my Aruba controller for when I need those.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on September 19, 2017, 11:24:13 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on September 19, 2017, 10:09:01 AM

you mush have chosen good and cheap.  therefore you do not get fast.

Sure wasn't fast... took an extra week to get here, but here it be. Now to carve everything up into VLANs and stuff. Yay for it already running 12.2(53) and having been wiped prior to shipping. No need to ROMMON the switch or search for an image in places where images can be searched for that we don't want to mention here because people got security clearances to keep among other things.

EDIT: UniversalK9 image! :woohoo: All features available!

deanwebb

And now I'm connecting to the Internets via that same switch. Did a speedtest, got well over 900Mbps, life is good.

Once I'm done debugging a weird issue on my NAC box, I'll be able to NAC myself and then life is better than good at that point. :smug:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on October 04, 2017, 04:26:41 PM
And now I'm connecting to the Internets via that same switch. Did a speedtest, got well over 900Mbps, life is good.

Once I'm done debugging a weird issue on my NAC box, I'll be able to NAC myself and then life is better than good at that point. :smug:

....until you get NAC'd out of your own network.  >:D :evil: :twisted:
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on October 05, 2017, 06:50:20 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on October 04, 2017, 04:26:41 PM

....until you get NAC'd out of your own network.  >:D :evil: :twisted:

That's why I keep a console cable plugged in to the switch. Worst case, I unplug the NAC box and console in to the switch to fix my VLAN back where it needs to be. :awesome:

But this is also why one tests policies before putting them into production. In this case, put in the policy but leave the effects inactive. Then I can see what gets affected by the policy before I fire it up 100%.