Clearing your mind from work

Started by killabee, January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reggle

I've started meditating. Not often, about an hour every two weeks, but it helps. I'm going to try and do it more often. It's both to clear my mind from work and all other kinds of stuff going on in my life.

deanwebb

Meditation and breathing exercises are great, yes!

I just do long, controlled nasal inhales and mouth exhales. I try to make each breath cycle last as long as possible. Breathing fewer times per minute for even a few minutes has incredibly calming and healing effects, particularly with pain and anxiety management.

ADVANCED breathing exercises involve using single nostrils and or single lungs. I'm not even on the path to get into that stuff, but I suppose if I changed careers to "Hindu Holy Man", I'd get started on such a program. Breathing from just the right nostril to fill the left lung only was definitely NOT in the CCNA study guide.

I've also found some great success with Hemi-Sync recordings from the Monroe Institute. They're kind of like self-hypnosis, but they use a different vector for relaxing and focusing. If I want to take a nap of exact length, I'll get one of those lined up, put on the headphones, and ride with it.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

GeorgeS

I enjoy playing and watching basketball, so recently i started my own blog where i am writing few things. I really enjoy it and helps me forget the work and everything, sometimes my gf is forgotten also which leads to a problem :D . So i totally recommend it to everyone, just write about something, does not have to be online.

scottsee

I have an hour commute to work in the morning.

• smoke a swisher
  • listen to fiction audio books
  • Daydream about cool shit
scott see

deanwebb

My hour drive is me with my tunes and, lately, with the roof open if it's a nice cool day. Got a used car with a sunroof just a few weeks ago, and it's wonderful to drive. Aaaaaaaahhhh.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

ggnfs000

L4D2 + BEER or WINE. Sometimes gym. Works out pretty good.

jason.copas

I've never been good at it.  That said, I have the hour long commute with a stop in the middle to pick up the two older kids.  Talking about their day at school or homework does it for me. 

My problem is when I start studying after the kids go to bed, everything comes flooding back sometimes.  I've taken to drinking a glencairn of whiskey when that happens.  Otherwise I ended up labbing out work problems until way to late.  30 minutes or an hour of trying to pull flavors out of good whiskey works wonders for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nerm

Speaking of hour long commutes. I have found that my long commute (~45-50 minutes) allows me to unwind on the way home so that when I get home I can just enjoy time with my family.

deanwebb

Speaking of speaking of commuting... my latest playlists for Interstate 30 are dominated by stoner rock bands. Wo Fat, Astroqueen, Deaf Radio, 1000mods, Orange Goblin, Fu Manchu, MOS Generator, Spacegoat, Mambonegro, Mammoth Mammoth, Deep Space Destructor, and Blind Dog.

While I do love that Wo Fat, best of the new stuff is Spacegoat. If you like hard rock, hit up their bandcamp page and give them a try. I almost guarantee you'll want their album. Fantastic stuff.

Dieselboy

I done most of my CCNA/CCNP reading studies on the two to three hour daily commute to and from work. Occasionally I'd read one paragraph and collapse into a coma, though. 7am train journeys followed by commutes until gone 7pm. Every. Day.

deanwebb

4-6 hours each day spent going back and forth are not good, at all. That's some seriously impact on your quality of life. What are you doing about that?

SimonV

Quote from: deanwebb on May 16, 2017, 01:54:42 PM
4-6 hours each day spent going back and forth are not good, at all. That's some seriously impact on your quality of life. What are you doing about that?

My first IT job also had 4 hours of train commute. It was good actually, lots of time to study or read. If you like studying and reading of course.  Just don't expect much of a social life on weekdays... :)

deanwebb

I suppose if you did a 4x10, getting another day for rest and relaxation would be good... but those other 4, you'd be either asleep, traveling, or at the work site. Make more sense to take a job with 100% travel and get paid tons more for it.

deanwebb

This is doing a pretty good job of clearing my mind, even though I'm still at work:

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on May 22, 2017, 03:29:06 PM
This is doing a pretty good job of clearing my mind, even though I'm still at work:

some nice guitar in there, a tad heavy for my taste, but I like it.   

thanks
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.