Clearing your mind from work

Started by killabee, January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killabee

How do you guys clear your mind or stop thinking about work?

It takes me one to two hours to unwind, but from time to time work thoughts creep back up.  Sometimes it's about that cool technology that I can't wait to get back to, but other times it's that persistent issue that I haven't been able to solve. 

Lately I've been practicing "mindful medication," a technique intended to help you strengthen your ability to control what you think about.  So far I'm happy with the progress.

SofaKing

I like to run or use my home gym.  When not doing those select TV shows or music seem to do it for me.
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

deanwebb

Paradox games: Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron. Victoria is the one I play most.

If I need a real brain vacation, I use Monroe Institute hemi-sync recordings. Those things work very well. They make limited claims that have been substantiated. They're a sort of focused meditation with binaural sounds that can produce a very rested state. Love them.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Atrum

My favorite is going to the gym. Generally if I go straight home my children are at their peak energy levels around that time and take full concentration to survive without incurring damage. Work thoughts = gone.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Atrum on January 05, 2015, 10:27:06 AM
My favorite is going to the gym. Generally if I go straight home my children are at their peak energy levels around that time and take full concentration to survive without incurring damage. Work thoughts = gone.

Out of curiosity, since you sound like you have a similar situation to mine (I have two young kids), when do you go to the gym?  It feels like first thing in the morning would be best, but I just can't seem to get motivated to get out of bed that early (To be done and ready to work by 8AM) - especially since my wife is a night owl.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Atrum

It's changed over time. I go whenever I can fit it into my schedule.

For a year or so I had an early shift and was off at 3:00PM. This was nice. I went straight to the gym after work and could pick the kids up from daycare/get home before dinner
I've done 5:00AM workouts for a few 5-6 month gaps before going back to evenings. I am not a morning person, so this only worked when I had a workout buddy meeting me there at 5AM and I didn't want to ditch him just to sleep a few minutes

These days I go right after we put the girls to sleep. Usually 7-8PM. It gives the wife a little time to do 'her thing' and watch any shows we don't both like, do some reading, etc.
Very rarely I'll have to skip a day, but then I just make the day up on Saturday or Sunday during my kids nap time or whenever it is convenient.

hizzo3

For relaxation, I just tinker... Car, motorcycle, whatever. For the big relaxation needs, I load up my adventure bike (500 lb dirt bike) and ride until the cell service drops out.. Then I set up camp. I always get weird looks when I say I'm dropping off the grid for the weekend/week...
Two years ago I rode continental divide for 3 weeks. My only reliable form of communication was a SPOT device so my friends and family would know where to find me of something happened.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Atrum on January 05, 2015, 01:26:13 PM
It's changed over time. I go whenever I can fit it into my schedule.

For a year or so I had an early shift and was off at 3:00PM. This was nice. I went straight to the gym after work and could pick the kids up from daycare/get home before dinner
I've done 5:00AM workouts for a few 5-6 month gaps before going back to evenings. I am not a morning person, so this only worked when I had a workout buddy meeting me there at 5AM and I didn't want to ditch him just to sleep a few minutes

These days I go right after we put the girls to sleep. Usually 7-8PM. It gives the wife a little time to do 'her thing' and watch any shows we don't both like, do some reading, etc.
Very rarely I'll have to skip a day, but then I just make the day up on Saturday or Sunday during my kids nap time or whenever it is convenient.

That gives me some good ideas - thanks.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

vito_corleone

Quote from: killabee on January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

I don't really. :\

Ironman

Basketball takes me away pretty quickly.

mynd

jinxer

Quote from: mynd on January 05, 2015, 11:03:03 PM

Quote from: vito_corleone on January 05, 2015, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: killabee on January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

I don't really. :\
same ...

Yea, same here.. Dont really nowdays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanwebb

Last night, working on this forum took my mind off work.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

LynK

honestly. gaming takes stress off my shoulders. Most recently; World of Tanks, or anything that involves shooting works great. Movies are also fantastic alternatives.
Sys Admin: "You have a stuck route"
            Me: "You have an incorrect Default Gateway"

RickG

Good, loud,  rock and roll helps me.  It probably keeps me out jail too... ;D