Clearing your mind from work

Started by killabee, January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

I just posted stuff I was studying to FB. That kept the comments on-topic. :)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

digitheads

"knowledge is power" - Albert Einstein

deanwebb

Very loud, very distorted rock and roll... and macaroni and cheese...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

config t

Way too many turns in marathon mode on Civ Beyond Earth
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

Need some clearing after today...

Project Status Meeting set for 3PM-4PM...

At 4:12, I said as the discussion went down a technical rabbit hole, "Can we set some time to talk about this tomorrow? We're already 12 minutes over our meeting time."

PM said, "And I've got 28 items to cover and we're only on number 7!"

Now, I know the PM said that to underline the need to take the tech discussion offline, but, seriously? Only 7 of 28 and we're already 12 minutes over?

So the PM proceeds to cover all kinds of status updates on things that I gave status updates on the day before and even earlier in the day. We hit 5PM and even though the meeting was still going on, I said that I had to drop off the call.

:frustration: :printer:

I really like a lot of the people that I work with and I really like the tech I get to work with, but this kind of project management has me updating my resume and installing the LinkedIn job search app... which I did in order to unwind.

Otanx

I love our internal project manager. That would have never happened. Project status meetings are 15 minutes, and she has no problems shutting down people who like to hear themselves talk. What project tasks did you finish, which are you currently working on, and are you waiting on anything from anyone? Then off to the next person. Our smaller projects with just two or three engineers the meetings can be under five minutes. I blindly accept any of her meeting invites because I know they will not be a waste of time.

Now saying that I feel your pain. Some of our customers project management skills are slightly lacking. One customer had a weekly hour meeting that moved to 90 minutes because they kept going over. Just last week someone suggested they move it to a two hour meeting because they keep going over the 90 minute mark. The project hasn't gotten any larger, but they will talk to fill the time. I have not been to one of those meetings in three or four months. I just read the minutes when they get emailed out. Nobody has said anything yet.

-Otanx

deanwebb

I'm the main engineer on this project. Be kinda insane for me to start skipping meetings.

Once I'm getting interviews at other companies, I can start the meeting-skipping process.  :whistle:

:facepalm3:

NetworkGroover

Quote from: Otanx on September 30, 2015, 09:39:33 PM
I love our internal project manager. That would have never happened. Project status meetings are 15 minutes, and she has no problems shutting down people who like to hear themselves talk. What project tasks did you finish, which are you currently working on, and are you waiting on anything from anyone? Then off to the next person. Our smaller projects with just two or three engineers the meetings can be under five minutes. I blindly accept any of her meeting invites because I know they will not be a waste of time.

Now saying that I feel your pain. Some of our customers project management skills are slightly lacking. One customer had a weekly hour meeting that moved to 90 minutes because they kept going over. Just last week someone suggested they move it to a two hour meeting because they keep going over the 90 minute mark. The project hasn't gotten any larger, but they will talk to fill the time. I have not been to one of those meetings in three or four months. I just read the minutes when they get emailed out. Nobody has said anything yet.

-Otanx

Haha - sounds like your PM is my kind of person.  Get what you need to get done, done, and move on with your life.  "Hey Bob - how's your dog doin?  Hey Sally, how are the kiddos - I bet you wish you had bought Timmy that bike har har - snarf snarf" - No.  Just no.  Lord knows the guy that's taking up all my time with the unnecessary chat isn't going to be held responsible for getting my work in on time.  We can chat at lunch, over IM, whatever, just don't do it on a conf call.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Chris Joss - "Music From The Man with a Suitcase"

It's got a great late 60s-early 70s-Ocean's Eleven kind of cool about it. I may still be working, but playing this music makes me feel like I'm about to get $6.4 million as my share for robbing the Bellagio. Chris Joss has some great stuff in general, but these 8 tracks are really doin' it rite for me today.

deanwebb

Making a playlist of my favorite obscure rock songs is always a nice way to unwind: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJupeNTfg7NjMy_MiU-SpVOiJJXJvAatZ

SofaKing

One of my worst attributes is that I love to procrastinate unless it comes to my morning workout - I'll be late for work before I miss out on throwing some peanuts around.  When reading one of my favorite sites for getting my learn on for new workouts I found this article and found it helpful with giving me some extra motivation to get shi*t done.  Hopefully it will do the same for others.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-currency-of-time-lifes-most-precious-commodity.html
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

deanwebb

Quote from: SofaKing on January 05, 2016, 08:43:42 AM
When of my worst attributes is that I love to procrastinate unless it comes to my morning workout - I'll be late for work before I miss out on throwing some peanuts around.  When reading one of my favorite sites for getting my learn on for new workouts I found this article and found it helpful with giving me some extra motivation to get shi*t done.  Hopefully it will do the same for others.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-currency-of-time-lifes-most-precious-commodity.html

Interesting article. I'm actually decreasing my emphasis on time and increasing my attention on what choices I make. If there is something that I want to do, then the choice is made ahead of time. There is no decision to make on whether or not I'll do this or that today: the choice is made, I do that thing, and then the rest of the day falls into place around those decisions.

SofaKing

Quote from: deanwebb on January 05, 2016, 08:54:21 AM
the choice is made, I do that thing, and then the rest of the day falls into place around those decisions.

Love this!
Networking -  You can talk about us but you can't talk without us!

NetworkGroover

Quote from: SofaKing on January 05, 2016, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on January 05, 2016, 08:54:21 AM
the choice is made, I do that thing, and then the rest of the day falls into place around those decisions.

Love this!

Yes, such a simple concept but one that's kind of enlightening to me.  I have so much crap I could do that my ADD just goes nuts and I don't get much done... I need to grasp that idea and focus on something to get it done, and let the other stuff just flow around it... nice.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

deanwebb

Outside, on the patio, I didn't even think of work until I thought about how I wasn't thinking of work. :awesome: