Clearing your mind from work

Started by killabee, January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

SimonV

Quote from: deanwebb on January 05, 2015, 09:28:23 AM
If I need a real brain vacation, I use Monroe Institute hemi-sync recordings. Those things work very well. They make limited claims that have been substantiated. They're a sort of focused meditation with
binaural sounds that can produce a very rested state. Love them.

Been listening to those ones too (gateway experience) in the past. Found it very interesting in the beginning, but kind of lost interest somewhere at the second wave.
Plus, I'm practically deaf on one side so it's probably not as effective.

Mainly watching TV shows and having a good drink to clear my mind  :cheers:

mrforklift

Movies and TV help a lot; reading for fun also helps.

Doing work with my volunteer organizations (primarily Alpha Phi Omega)

Blowing up lots of stuff in DC Universe Online....

javentre

Quote from: killabee on January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM
It takes me one to two hours to unwind, but from time to time work thoughts creep back up.

I've lost count of the number of significant breakthroughs I've had while driving home from work. 

[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]

mynd

Quote from: javentre on January 07, 2015, 05:34:17 AM
Quote from: killabee on January 05, 2015, 01:58:01 AM
It takes me one to two hours to unwind, but from time to time work thoughts creep back up.

I've lost count of the number of significant breakthroughs I've had while driving home from work.
boss recently asked me to go drive around for a while until I figure out the answer to an issue that was stumping us :)

AdamTilbrook

I don't think about work when I leave...at all. I might check email every now and then but I don't constantly think about any problems I have to solve or any work which I haven't yet finished. In my previous life I was a manager at a large retail chain here in Australia. Not only did that take up more of my day than it should of (think 10-12hr days) but also I was thinking about the days ahead and how to manage the workload once home.

Now when I get home I watch TV, play PC games, drink (that's a popular one), and once or twice a week I do tenpin bowling too.
Adam Tilbrook
Network Administrator | iiNet Ltd

NetworkGroover

Quote from: RickG on January 06, 2015, 12:45:34 PM
Good, loud,  rock and roll helps me.  It probably keeps me out jail too... ;D

Lol.... nice
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

RickG

Quote from: deanwebb on January 06, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
Hey, Rick! Good to see you here!

I figured you need some comedy relief. :) ;D :)

Seriously, I was looking for someplace to enhance my skilz. That is the only thing I need enhancement on. and probably spealinc.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: RickG on January 08, 2015, 09:02:34 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on January 06, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
Hey, Rick! Good to see you here!

I figured you need some comedy relief. :) ;D :)

Seriously, I was looking for someplace to enhance my skilz. That is the only thing I need enhancement on. and probably spealinc.

I lulz at ur lak of speeling capeability.
Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

Ether

A bit feminine, but throwing a nice hot Epsom salt bath before bed seems to work wonders most times. Especially the salts with relaxing properties. Throw on some tunes, disappear in my thoughts, perform a soft reboot.

deanwebb

Going to a Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote-a-long at Alamo Drafthouse with my family. (Thursday, in fact...)
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

Quote from: LynK on January 06, 2015, 12:27:50 PM
honestly. gaming takes stress off my shoulders. Most recently; World of Tanks, or anything that involves shooting works great. Movies are also fantastic alternatives.

WoT is a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to World of Ships.. or whatever the devil it's called. I enjoy strategy games as well. Crusader Kings, Total War series, Civ, and anything indie I can find that's good.

Quote from: deanwebb on January 21, 2015, 10:15:21 AM
Going to a Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote-a-long at Alamo Drafthouse with my family. (Thursday, in fact...)

That sounds like a good time.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

sgtcasey

Another WoT player here. I seem to hop onto that for a few rounds after getting home from work more often lately.

I've also been messing around in Skyrim.
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

Seittit

World of Warcraft provides a great escape.

Since 2015 will be the year of CCIE for me, however, I've sworn off all video games, books, and movies. So I'm left with weightlifting, running, and cooking for relief; never all three at the same time.

sgtcasey

Yep, I've also got my 10-year old WoW account with a few 100's on it now.  Since the latest expansion I've gotten bored with it a lot faster than previous expansions.  I don't think I've logged into my account for a couple weeks now.
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!