Script to pull config from switches

Started by Nerm, October 05, 2017, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerm

I currently have a need to create a way to automate pulling configs from a list of switches and generating individual text files of the config with the name of the switch as the name of the file. Keep in mind I am quite the scripting noob so was hoping for some pointers and maybe some reading suggestions to accomplish this.

Here are my thoughts:
1.) Make text/excel file with a list of switch ip addresses.
2.) Make a python (or whatever is best) script to read the ip addresses from the list.
2a.) The script would connect to each switch via telnet (I know, I know).
2b.) The script would then basically do a "show run" to a text file with the name of the switch and put it in a folder I designate.

I am sure this is light years behind what most of you are already doing, but I already do something very similar in a powershell script to pull stuff from AD so this shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

wintermute000

Nerm

Thanks for the link but I have no idea what I am looking at lol. Keep in mind I have 0 training in scripting/programming. I actually found (via Google) some already made powershell scripts that do exactly what I am wanting and I am much more familiar with it than actual programming languages. The only problem is all the ones I found are SSH only and this specific location I am dealing with only has telnet remote access on their switches. :(

wintermute000

I could shoot you some Python, but then according to you , you wouldn't know what you are looking at sooooo....

There's no short cuts to automation. Remember how you had to grind out your CCNA? Now do it again with Python or whatever. Your idea is straightforwards conceptually so just go ahead and have a crack at it.

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on October 05, 2017, 04:02:07 PM
I could shoot you some Python, but then according to you , you wouldn't know what you are looking at sooooo....

There's no short cuts to automation. Remember how you had to grind out your CCNA? Now do it again with Python or whatever. Your idea is straightforwards conceptually so just go ahead and have a crack at it.

As usual, Wintermute speaks the 100% truth. Python is before all of us. We can waste energy running from it, or we can learn to dance with it.

As an introduction, I'd recommend getting a Linux box running, get that Python package installed on it, and then read over some Python scripts. Just read them and see what jumps up and makes sense without any foreknowledge.

Then, when you start reading about how to do Python stuff, things you saw in those first scripts will pop back in your head and you'll go back and read them with new understanding.

By the way, if you've ever hacked a file to mod a game, you've done scripting/programming. I've never programmed a server-side application, but there are more than a few events in my homebrew mod for Victoria II that work just fine. I've brought them through code upgrades that broke the hell out of them and I've refined them to stop producing ridiculous results.

Side note: if you read Wintermute's posts with the voice of Rick Sanchez, they make even more sense than without that voice. :awesome:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Just remember, if you don't research with Google and Stackoverflow, you'll be all like

:morty:

BUT

If you use those resources and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and make mistakes, soon you'll be all like

:meeseeks:

with only short bursts of the first GIF in this post... :P
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: Nerm on October 05, 2017, 03:36:44 PM
... and this specific location I am dealing with only has telnet remote access on their switches. :(

:umad: :wha?: :kiwf: :ivan:

Check out Codeacademy.com, they have a fairly simple FREE introductory course for Python.  I was taking it, but lost all my free time when I changed jobs, I got to get myself back to it .

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

dlots

I already have that written

https://github.com/GoreNetwork/Pull-running-configs

you'll need python and use pip to install netmiko

If you want telnet you'll have to change the device type in line 42, I think the device type will be
device_type='cisco_ios_telnet'

Nerm

I think I already have an account on codeacademy.com but just never used it. Looks like it is time to go down that path. I am at a point where I have no interest in coding and never have, however I also see the value in the automation it can bring.

SimonV

Enabling the Configuration Archive feature would be much simpler.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2013/10/30/understanding-cisco-auto-archive-feature-to-backup-configuration-file

Or, if you insist on scripting, write a script to enable the Configuration Archive feature.

:haha1:

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on October 06, 2017, 01:34:28 PM
Enabling the Configuration Archive feature would be much simpler.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2013/10/30/understanding-cisco-auto-archive-feature-to-backup-configuration-file

Or, if you insist on scripting, write a script to enable the Configuration Archive feature.

:haha1:

be wary carefully,  you know what happened on a 6500 SUP720 when I once tried to configure config archive to an empty card slot.....

:problem?:  <inset new explosion icon here>

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on October 06, 2017, 01:45:55 PM
be wary carefully,  you know what happened on a 6500 SUP720 when I once tried to configure config archive to an empty card slot.....

:problem?:  <inset new explosion icon here>

I think this one fits the story:

:explosion2:

wintermute000

I recommend Kirk Byers Python for network engineer 10 week program. Worked for me

Nerm

Ok.....so.....I dove in heads first over the weekend and was unable to come up with a script that works for my specific situation. I was however able to create a script that would pull from a list of IP's from a file and go out and modify the config of the switch so that dlots script would then work. btw, lots of thanks to dlots and wintermute because looking at their code of scripts they linked to was hugely helpful. In fact dlots code for reading IP's from a file is the essential part of my script.

import telnetlib

pw = "telnet_pw"
enpw = "enable_pw"
command = "conf t"
command2 = "username user privilege 15 secret password"
command3 = "line vty 0 4"
command4 = "login local"
command5 = "end"
command6 = "wr mem"

def get_ip (input):
return(re.findall(r'(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)', input))

def get_ips (file_name):
for line in open(file_name, 'r').readlines():
line = get_ip(line)
for ip in line:
ips.append(ip)
ips = []
get_ips("IPs.txt")

for ip in ips:
    tn = telnetlib.Telnet(ip, timeout = 10)
    tn.read_until(("Password:").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((pw + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.read_until((">").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write(("en" + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.read_until(("Password:").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((enpw + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.read_until(("#").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command2 + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command3 + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command4 + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command5 + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write((command6 + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    tn.write(("exit" + "\r\n").encode('ascii'))
    output = tn.read_all()
    print(output)

EDIT: I realize that to those of you with scripting experience probably think this is horrible, but it worked and accomplished a task I needed to automate and push out to 40+ switches at once.