Q: Which group handles what stuff?

Started by deanwebb, October 10, 2017, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otanx

To be honest I don't know. I think it is a technical team somewhere at the parent, but the only interaction I have with them is submitting a change request and waiting. There is a marketing/PR finger in the pie (just as you said in the OP), and why we are not allowed to run our own DNS servers for our domain. They think if we run our own servers we are going to start using inappropriate words for host names or something. I just don't know if they do it all, or just are an approval step.

-Otanx

deanwebb

Another thing I'm interested in is how well mergers go for the IT guys. I can see two major problem groups: culture clashes and lack of visibility into the newly acquired environment.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Nerm

Well I may be modifying my original post seeing as how it was just announced that our entire IT org is being restructured and my roles counterpart was just laid off as well as my boss.

wintermute000

sorry to hear that. Get on the front foot

deanwebb

Quote from: Nerm on October 18, 2017, 08:21:07 PM
Well I may be modifying my original post seeing as how it was just announced that our entire IT org is being restructured and my roles counterpart was just laid off as well as my boss.

Wow. Ouch. That's another part of the question, who handles what after a layoff...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on October 19, 2017, 09:39:38 AM
Quote from: Nerm on October 18, 2017, 08:21:07 PM

Wow. Ouch. That's another part of the question, who handles what after a layoff...

hopefully it s the people that did the layoffs, for we know it's not those layed off.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.