How to limit user's internet speed when using low-tech ISP WIFI router?

Started by qinzee, October 13, 2017, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qinzee

I would like to control the download/upload speed of another computer which is connected to the same ISP provided WIFI router i am.

I know many routers have the option to log in to their interface and do it from there but unfortunately mine doesn't. Is there a software (free) or any other way to accomplish this on Windows 7/10?

Thanks in advance guys!

deanwebb

I can't regulate speed on individual devices on my ISP router, either. If you put a device between your ISP router and the ISP connection, you could use that to regulate traffic flow. That setup, however, can be messy and you risk exposing that device to some truly horrendous stuff. It may be an option, but it's not one I recommend to someone who doesn't work with network stuff professionally.

Regarding the option you brought up, that would involve interference with a radio signal. In the USA, that's against the law to do. Aside from legal issues, the technical side of the solution, being unable to control the traffic at the source, would essentially be jamming the frequency used by the transmitting device. That doesn't limit traffic as much as it blocks it.

So we have two non-solutions... but there's a third option: crappy old equipment.

If you hide the SSID of your ISP-provided network and change its password, the other person can't access it. If you then use the LAN ports on the back of the ISP router (most of them have 4-8 ports for local devices), you could configure an old wireless controller you bought off eBay to send all its outbound traffic to the ISP router... and to offer up a visible SSID for this other computer to use. Because the gear is old, it offers up a reduced wireless speed naturally that results in slower overall access.

If that's not slow enough, put a router in between that old WLC and the ISP router. Configure the port that the WLC connects to to run at the lowest speed possible. If that's still too fast, then you can do traffic policing and shaping to further limit the bandwidth for that other device.

If it's another user that's torrenting, you could also poke your head into his room and ask that the he set the maximum download speed to something you're comfortable with. That's the non-technical approach to the issue, should it be something like that.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.