Carrier standards for sub-10GE?

Started by netspork, October 17, 2017, 01:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netspork

Question - what's the current standard for bonding 1GE links when buying transit from a large carrier?  We have two upstreams, one is so flexible they'll just do anything, the other will drag this order out over months if we don't just call them and TELL them how we want to do it.  LAGG or something else?  I assume something vendor neutral?  One transit provider is running Brocade at L2/L3 the other is unknown L2, Cisco L3.

Long ago when trying to aggregate multiple FE connections we were pushed toward just letting BGP do this, but I think that's silly and probably wrong.

Otanx

Why do you think letting BGP handle it is wrong? That is how I would do it if I didn't just go to 10G.

-Otanx

icecream-guy

at the old place we just had 10GE installed, fiber handoff, and paid for a partial, I think they were at 2Gb, moving to 4Gb
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

wintermute000

Pretty much everyone just runs 10Gb then shapes down. Nobody bothers with anything else
multiple providers/full tables is also a thing but not for reasons of wanting >1Gb but cheaping out on 10Gb ports... not in 2017!!!

icecream-guy

Quote from: wintermute000 on October 19, 2017, 04:36:00 AM

Pretty much everyone just runs 10Gb then shapes down. Nobody bothers with anything else
multiple providers/full tables is also a thing but not for reasons of wanting >1Gb but cheaping out on 10Gb ports... not in 2017!!!

that's what we learned at the old place, if you provide the bandwidth, it will get used,  we went from 600Mb to 1Gb to 2Gb  in a matter of about 2 years.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

netspork

OK, so let's say we're cheap and we are going to bond two 1G ports (to be fair, the cards are affordable, tossing that ASR-1002X in the garbage is not).  LAGG is de-facto standard across all vendors?

srg

Link aggregation are common practice across vendors yes, they might have different names for it though. LACP would be the standardized protocol to speak to manage the aggregate. (yes, do use signaling for this)
som om sinnet hade svartnat för evigt.