On the Road Again

Started by deanwebb, October 30, 2017, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

First pair of flights with TSA PreCheck went very well last week. No shoes off, no belt off, no liquids out. Zipped right on through.

I do make sure not to have "bags within bags", as that will make security stop you to check again. However, I do roll up my clothes tight and have them in one side of the suitcase so that I can put my laptop bag into the other side and not have to have my laptop block up my legroom under the seat in front of me and/or be a hindrance if I have a seat in the first row of coach. I put my laptop bag into my suitcase after I go through security.

I do like to carry a few things with me, however, and I don't want to shove everything into my pockets, so I've purchased a small messenger bag (10" by 7" by 3.5" / 25 cm x 18 cm x 10 cm or so) and have my earbuds, fidget spinner, thing of mints, neck support (thing that props up my head while sleeping, better than a travel pillow), and I can put snacks in there as well. I can wear it cross-shoulder so it won't slide off while I'm walking and it's small enough that it fits fine on my lap or by my side.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

I thought I'd also mention more about that neck support thingy. It's the Airohead Slumber Stache: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP85CWC

It rolls up nice and tight and then, when I want to sleep on the plane, I put it around my neck and doze off. No sore neck when I wake up, I enjoy it a lot.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Encounter at LaGuardia Airport... I had 3 bags going into security and I planned to put my laptop bag into my suitcase to get it down to 2 for boarding the plane.

The lady at the gateway to the lines wasn't having any of it. "ONLY TWO BAGS! YOU HAVE THREE!"

I started to explain my situation, and then realized the futility of it as she cut me off to repeat, "ONLY TWO BAGS! YOU HAVE THREE!"

I stepped back, put one bag into the other, and got through the line as another traveler got yelled at for 3 bags... and then put one into the other to get down to 2.

Thing is, when you go through the security scanners, you do not want bags inside of bags, or they are likely to get pulled aside for a further search. So I had to go back to 3 bags for the x-ray machine, then back to 2 to get on the plane.

:facepalm4:

deanwebb

Some notes from the road...

Had a trip to a customer in England. My best meals were on the airplane. Customer was out in the country, so the only restaurants were in the hotel and at a pub in the nearby village.

They both had the same menu. And, being English fare, not a lot of seasoning, not even salt. Really bland stuff.

On the plane, though, I sign on for the Hindu meal. I'm not Hindu. I just like Indian food. It's seasoned well and comes out first.
:awesome:

I had some good, spicy chow and the people next to me had the chicken pasta blanditora. I felt like a winner.

Speaking of winning, I felt like a loser on my last flight back home. It was a short flight from Phoenix.

Now, on long flights, you have plenty of time to watch a movie on the plane's entertainment system, should it be blessed with one. (My flight to England was 9.5 hours on British Airways with zero things to plug my devices into and 8-cm screens attached to the armrests... with varying levels of functionality...) But on short flights, your pilot will cheerily interrupt you just after takeoff, halfway through the flight, about 30 mins. before getting ready to land, and when it's time to get ready to land. Add in a tendency to want to share that outside air temperature with the whole flight and you have interruptions ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!
:rage:

I switched over to my tablet and cheerfully ignored the pilot whenever he had to mention some crap about tailwinds or clouds. Or airline loyalty credit cards.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on October 19, 2018, 01:24:44 PM

They both had the same menu. And, being English fare, not a lot of seasoning, not even salt. Really bland stuff.

People make rings for that,  opens up so you can put your hot pepper powder in there, and spice up your meals as desired.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on October 20, 2018, 06:01:42 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on October 19, 2018, 01:24:44 PM

People make rings for that,  opens up so you can put your hot pepper powder in there, and spice up your meals as desired.

I'll be packing spice for sure next time I have to go thataway.

deanwebb

Woof, not sleeping well since getting back from China... hope I can stay up for the next 16 hours and then get back on my schedule.

In other news, travel apps can be WORSE than picking your own routes at times... stoopid SAP Concur found the most bass-ackward way for me to get home when there was a DIRECT flight from either Beijing or Shanghai back to DFW. It sent me to LAX with a 5-hour layover and then on to Dallas, so I wound up getting home around 2 AM... could have been home 5-8 hours earlier, from the look of things that might have been. That, in turn, could have really helped with my getting back on a normal sleep schedule.

icecream-guy

thought you were in China now,  congrats on them, letting you out.

at least you can catch up with the admins around the world.

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Yeah, good to be home. Now to just get my internal clock reset to home.

2 more weeks in the USA for sure, may have to go international in November, we'll see...

config t

Currently "deployed" to Bahrain.. although I'm not really deployed.. I live here now. I have reached a point where I would prefer to come out of pocket on long-haul flights than let my customer who must adhere to the "Fly America Act" book and pay for my tickets. These turkeys booked me a 23 hour 4-connection flight from San Diego to Manama so American Airlines could make a buck. I could have flown direct with Emirates from L.A. to Dubai on an A380 and taken a quick hop from Dubai to Manama for a total of five hours, $500 and 3-connections less.

Emirates flight staff also wouldn't have given me guff about my 3rd gin and tonic.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

deanwebb

UGH, four connections! No way is that good for any traveler!

config t

Headed to Kuwait for 10 days in December. I can't say enough what a wonderful, welcoming country it is or how much I have missed it since I lived there for 2 1/2 years. Home to some of the most considerate and safety-oriented drivers in the world. Truly an unselfish culture that values life.

Nobody:

Kuwaiti behind the wheel of an SUV:
:rage:
:goku:

deanwebb

https://m.cnn.com/en/article/h_990ff64f90f909f55b916692ee340d2c

BRING. THE. DISINFECTANT. WIPES!!!

Wash hands AFTER handling the menu.

Do not EVEN THINK to use the TV remote control in the hotel...

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on November 25, 2019, 09:56:43 AM

30%.. Those are rookie numbers.

Nerm

Quote from: config t on November 25, 2019, 10:49:14 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on November 25, 2019, 09:56:43 AM

30%.. Those are rookie numbers.

:haha1: