Wifi repeater Amzdeal

Started by umby75, December 02, 2017, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umby75

Hi, I'm using a WiFi repeater brand as in subject but I'm very disappointed because the wifi range is not quite extended and the link to my router isn't quite stable even if is located in a good position.

Can you suggest some better WiFi repeater for my case?

Thanks..

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

deanwebb

I'm using a Netgear EX7300... I'll also move this thread to home networking, since corporate environments just buy more APs.

To help set it up, I used an app that came with the repeater that allowed my phone to determine signal strength in my house. I have the main wifi in the far end of my home, so the repeater is in the middle. I picked that model because it had strong signal power and dual radios for each frequency. It cost a good deal more than the entry-level model, but it's been quite worth it.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

How far away is the repeater,  give it no more than 50% of your coverage.  it will help.
so if you max coverage is 10M, the repeater should be no more than 5M away.
having the repeater on the very edge of your wireless range won't work. needs overlap.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on December 03, 2017, 07:07:57 PM
How far away is the repeater,  give it no more than 50% of your coverage.  it will help.
so if you max coverage is 10M, the repeater should be no more than 5M away.
having the repeater on the very edge of your wireless range won't work. needs overlap.

+1

Signal strength can stay high for a while, then when it drops off, it drops off rapidly. You could have 95% signal 5-6M away and then 75% at 7M and 20% at 8M. Put the repeater right at the edge of that dropoff for best results.

Of course, you then deal with the dropoff in signal from the repeater, which is why having multiple antennas and a strong radio in it is so important.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

umby75

@deanwebb

The netgear repeater costs a lot. I checked on Amazon and it costs about 130Eur.
Surely that is a different product than Amzdeal one.
I have an old Linksys modified with ddwrt software installed and I can try that increasing about at maximum power..
When I installed the Amz wifi repeater I was able to connect not always my cam but now I can't connect cam anymore.
The second camera is positioned near the router/Ap and the cam is always reachable...

@deanwebb
@ristau5741

The router is a key 3G/4G router with sim card and is a Huawei model.
I installed the repeater in 5 meters far and I have two walls among them even if the two doors are opened completely..
The wifi repeater is installed in a appropriate position to receive signal from router and to give internet to my cam installed in about 6 meters far with 1 wall and an opened door.
I assigned the same SSID and it's very strange that I can't connect this cam..

deanwebb

True, the Netgear product is not entry-level. But, you get what you pay for.

As for distance, you want to check your signal strength from the main wifi router using an app - I use the Netgear app for that on my phone. It will show you where you have different levels of signal strength in your house.

umby75

Quote from: deanwebb on December 05, 2017, 06:24:39 PM
True, the Netgear product is not entry-level. But, you get what you pay for.

As for distance, you want to check your signal strength from the main wifi router using an app - I use the Netgear app for that on my phone. It will show you where you have different levels of signal strength in your house.
Usually I use wi-fi analyzer app in Android and it seems quite accurate but when I tested my network it seemed configurated fine but after some days I can connect that cam only sporadically...
What do you think about Netgear N300 or other cheaper products by Netgear (pr other brand) than you suggested me one?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

deanwebb

You can compare the products online at the Netgear website and you can see the features that the N300 does not offer. I believe that one, for example, has weaker radio strength.