Forum Suggestions

Started by Netwörkheäd, January 03, 2015, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

OK...
Email thing should be something I can haxxor in the forum code so that it won't use *my* email address when it sends things out.
Attachments are currently turned off. Turning them on is a toggle flip and putting write permissions on the "attachments" directory.
SEO for SMF requires Apache as the host. We don't got that. In time, the stuff rises to the top, especially things like "CISCO TRAINING HERE" and "FREE CISCO TRAINING HERE."
Once we're pretty sure we have things in hand and no new features to add/toggle on, then we move out of beta and start letting folks know where we area and what we're doing.
For the link at the top of a topic... well, I don't have that, but I do have the link in the navigation bar at the top to "all unread posts". Then, the link to the first unread is at the right side of each topic listed.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

mynd

Quote from: deanwebb on January 05, 2015, 11:59:52 AMFor the link at the top of a topic... well, I don't have that, but I do have the link in the navigation bar at the top to "all unread posts". Then, the link to the first unread is at the right side of each topic listed.

Didn't realize that the "new" icon was actually a link. That does help. I did some searching myself and seems the code for the url is something like

?topic=$topicNumber.new;topicseen#new

That seems to at least get me to the last replied, but not necessarily the first unread message ...

deanwebb

:( :'( :angry: :banana: :lol: :rofl: :problem?: :joy: :XD: :wtf: :choke: :zomgwtfbbq: :badass: :challenge-accepted: :challenge-considered: :challenge-denied: :jackie-chan: :notbad: :steamtroll: :rage: :umad: :yuno:

All new smileys, and I fixed the default ones to be shinier.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

dean, can you post up the different user poster levels,  and and the post range for each level

seen like:
access port
senior engineer
bit
dark fibre...

etc....

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Bit    0
Byte    8    
Access Port    32
Core Switch    128    
Backbone Router    256    
Dark Fibre    512    
advipservicesk9    1024
Senior Engineer    2048
Volume Licensing    4096

vito_corleone

I saw that yesterday and loled. Great idea.

icecream-guy

voice forum - should probably be voice and video , maybe telepresence?

where do I post my Cisco ACE questions?  virtual switching questions

and if I eventually get my hands on UCS, where would those questions go?

vito_corleone

Quote from: ristau5741 on January 06, 2015, 11:31:51 AM
voice forum - should probably be voice and video , maybe telepresence?

where do I post my Cisco ACE questions?  virtual switching questions

and if I eventually get my hands on UCS, where would those questions go?

Good point on the Voice/Video thing. I'd probably call it Unified Communications (pretty standard) or maybe Collaboration.

The other one is tough, IMO. A "Data Center" forum would cover all of that, but it will also probably attract Nexus-related L2/L3 questions, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but might not be ideal. Maybe a "Systems and Virtualization" forum? Seems like it excludes LB to some extent though.

I'm really a "less is more" guys with forums. I think NFv1 had too many and I think NFv2 is borderline. "General Tech" is a nice catchall, but it can do more harm than good also.

deanwebb

Instead of "General Tech", I'll make an "Everything else in the Data Center" board for... well... everything else in the data center, from servers to load balancers, with the caveat that this is a NETWORKING forum so that solutions for stuff outside that area of emphasis might not be found here.

icecream-guy

deanwebb

Also, some friends of mine brought it to my attention that we have to verify before sending PMs... this is true if you have less than five posts. This is a security setting, since there are bots that will blast out PMs after zero or one posts. Five makes it awful tough for a bot to do its thing, and is not that hard to do. So suck it in and make five good posts, then PM away like a human is supposed to!

ChestHair

I'm not sure if this is a good idea to other people or not, but a lot of forums dedicated to my other interests (Motorcycles, Jeeps, Electronics, CNC Machining, RC, etc) have a swapmeet/marketplace area to buy and sell items between members. I think it would be great for people to have a place to offload equipment they used for labs/training that will go in the dumpster, and where newbs can get their hands on something cheap that will help finish out their lab, etc. I don't know if it creates some sort of liability for the site, and is the reason why I haven't seen it before on a tech site such as this, but I thought I would throw it out there. It seems to drive a large amount of traffic to those sites.  :banana:

deanwebb

C:-) You betcha there would be liability. One sale goes wrong, and I'll be getting a fifty-dollar letter from a lawyer in a cheap suit.

That being said, if I say that Networking-Forums.com and its members make no explicit or implicit guarantee of warranty, quality of equipment, or reliability of seller or buyer, that kinda lets me and everyone here off the hook. So I say that. Buyer and seller beware, if you get ripped off, everyone here has the legal obligation to mock you and say "Told ya so!"

wintermute000

As long as we cover our behinds legally speaking, I don't see an issue with having a separate sub forum. I flog stuff on an Aussie forum all the time that is legendary for PC/computing parts.
Being an Aussie though I doubt it will benefit me much as you 'Muricans merrily trade amongst your geographically convenient selves  :angry:

We'd have to be quick off the mark though in case anyone tries to sell something dodgy

javentre

I'd like the ability to turn off people's signatures and profile pictures.
[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]