technology in job ads

Started by icecream-guy, February 26, 2015, 11:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecream-guy

what do you think about what technology is noted in Job ads and what is says about the company,

for example. I see lots of job that reference PIX/ASA experience,

for me when I see "Cisco ASA/PIX experience" in a job ad
it's tells me that the if they are mentioning PIX,
the company is probably out of touch with technology,
and I probably wouldn't want to work there.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

config t

It could mean you are about the be the guy who upgrades the firewall   :joy:

But you're probably right.
:matrix:

Please don't mistake my experience for intelligence.

Reggle

I would have the same feeling. Especially the phrase "ASA/PIX" as you can find it on the Cisco website a few times in configuration guides, giving me the impression it was just copied from there.

Otanx

Having been on the back side of this I don't take much stock in it. What happens is someone leaves, and a job posting needs to be made, and someone hired because the work is already piling up. HR pulls out the job posting from last time, and asks someone on the team to update it to match the current requirements. Of course they are too busy taking up the slack so they don't update the job description. After a few iterations of this you end up with a job posting asking for PIX, and CatOS experience where in reality they are using ASAs and 3560X switches. This even assumes HR asks before posting the previous job description. Eventually someone will update the description, and the cycle begins again.

-Otanx

routerdork

I have seen places that never want to update them and those that write them on the spot. When it comes to job postings I mostly look at whether I can see myself doing it without getting ridiculously bored. If I see a bunch of PC related junk I pass. But if I see newer things like Nexus, ASR, etc. I am more inclined to read more thoroughly and give more consideration.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

deanwebb

I need someone what knows how to use tin cans and string for my fancy computer networking stuff and things. You any good with tin cans and string, boy?
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

config t

Quote from: deanwebb on February 26, 2015, 02:57:58 PM
I need someone what knows how to use tin cans and string for my fancy computer networking stuff and things. You any good with tin cans and string, boy?

I'm not certified and I dont have any hands on experience, but I have run it in lab simulations.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on February 26, 2015, 02:57:58 PM

What? Are you contracted to fix the Elbonian Internet???

deanwebb

The ideal candidate will have at least one year of experience.

^ Actually saw that in an ad for a programming role paying $140K in the LA area.

No experience? Well, you're not ideal, but since you showed up, you're hired! Hope you can survive on $140K a year in LA...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

config t

I found this beauty today in my inbox:

About the Job
Network/IT Administrator
Responsibilities include:
·         Setting up accounts
·         Managing email
·         Managing development software
·         Managing accounting software
·         Managing production software
·         Back ups

Experience with VMWare and Linux is a must.

The candidate must be available to deal with emergencies 24/7

Salary to 90K

I lol'd

javentre

Quote from: config t on March 01, 2015, 04:25:17 AM
Salary to 90K

I lol'd

Salaries are very location dependent.  90K in parts of Indiana goes a lot further than 90K in NYC.
[url="http://networking.ventrefamily.com"]http://networking.ventrefamily.com[/url]

Nerm

Quote from: javentre on March 01, 2015, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: config t on March 01, 2015, 04:25:17 AM
Salary to 90K

I lol'd

Salaries are very location dependent.  90K in parts of Indiana goes a lot further than 90K in NYC.

Amen to that. I live in Southern Indiana and around here 90K/year would be like making 250K+/year in NYC.

config t

True story.

Although I was laughing about how non-network that job description sounded. Nary a switch or router to be seen.

icecream-guy

NS  posted 8 days ago.

Microsoft Windows NT Senior Systems Engineer

Qualifications
Microsoft Certified System Engineer.
Must be certified in the appropriate Microsoft Back Office product ..   (no mention what that is)

blah...blah...blah....

Integrates Microsoft technology within Novell/Banyan Vines/DEC environments

[apply here]

deanwebb

That's a posting that hasn't changed since at least 1999. More likely, 1995.